Laptop Keeps freezing Up

Old 10-17-04, 09:11 PM
B
Baseball Bernie
Visiting Guest
Laptop Keeps freezing Up

I have a laptop I've been using for about 2 years to watch DVDs on. That's all I use it for. After watching one DVD a couple of days ago I tried to watch a second and as the movie started the computer froze up. Thinking it was the DVD I tried several same thing. I tried restarting without a DVD and it froze up during the start up mode. Tried restarting several more times and it either froze up during start up or within a couple minutes after. I tried defragging and disk scan nothing helped.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-04, 09:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you also use the laptop for the internet? You may have gotten a virus or worm like Sasser. Run your antivirus software.

Please tell me how you get your laptop to play DVDs? What software or whatever do you have? I would very much like to watch DVDs on my laptop.

Old 10-17-04, 09:22 PM
S
You just need a dvd drive and a dvd decoder. I think media player can decode now.

Old 10-18-04, 05:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In a laptop, it can be any number of things. First, run a spyware & virus scan. If that comes up with nothing, we'll move on to potential hardware trouble.

My first guess would be overheating.

Chris

Old 10-26-04, 01:22 PM
S
Overheating was also my first thought... did you move the laptop onto another service, possibly inhibiting airflow from the vents (which are frequently on the bottom of the laptop). Also, when it has been off for a while, does it take longer to freeze than if it has been turned on for a while, frooze, and rebooted?

My PC has a hardware temperature monitor in the BIOS, so you might be able to check your CPU temperature that way if yours does as well.

Scott