Norton Antivirus

Old 10-24-04, 04:00 PM
dldb
Visiting Guest
Norton Antivirus

I'm running windows xp on my computer and I'm trying to install Norton Antivirus 2005 on my computer and the liveupdate won't in install. I have edit registry. I've uninstalled and reinstalled still can't get can't get the antivirus updates please help me.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-04, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are the error messages?

Old 10-24-04, 06:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Question Push Technology...???

Hello: dldb Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Not exactly sure this is the problem but use the product myself and now no longer need to do a manual download via the live update. Done automatically without any user actions. Nor any need to do to the live update window or use the scheduler or even have the anti virus running, etc.

The web sites recent download used another redirector which is using the push technology which pushes the updates to the computer without the user aware of it.

Except during the installation of the updates. Which the user only sees the hard drive light flashing and may hear the hard drive working, light flashing. If user has the firewall and it is running, little drop down window advises user firewall updates have been downloaded and installed.

Happening to me and many others whom I know also using the Symantec products. All of Symantecs products might be or likely are using such technology. The redirectors are nothing new and been used before. Where visable using the live update window. Not anylonger. All done automatically.

Which may or may not be the reason live update seems not to install. Likely being cancelled out and the push technology replacing live update during installation from CD. My live update is there but non usable. Window does open but message says all updates current up to date and installed via new technology or words to that effect.

So good is this new method it even knows when I use to download. Same date and about the same time downloads resulted. Until recently when the firewall downloaded new updates and self installed. Meaning the updates are downloading well before using live update or the usual date and time when it was done manually.

The server knows and tracks the users whom download because the computer ids itself to the download server before down loads start. Verifying valid user info and paid up fees...haha. Watching us??? YIKES.

Their web site said to have or does have more info on the issue. I have not yet visited the Norton web site for more info. Only know Push Technology works without my actions, etc. Push Technology now used at many very large computers to keep their computers always updated.

Most likely the computer pros in this forum topic will have more technical info on the issue or I could be all wrong about this.

All wrong for me would be nothing new...LOL!
I just host & monitor the web site...haha......
Not a computer techy guru.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-24-04 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-24-04, 08:06 PM
tae
here are some problems/answers from norton:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav..._solve_lu.html

knowing the exact problem,error,wording would be most helpful.

Old 10-28-04, 11:59 AM
missdee
Visiting Guest
Exclamation LU1848 couldn't create call back object.

LU1848 cou;dn't create call back object. is the error message i'm getting.
Dee

Originally Posted by tae
here are some problems/answers from norton:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav..._solve_lu.html

knowing the exact problem,error,wording would be most helpful.

Old 10-28-04, 02:21 PM
tae
here is the norton help page for your problem:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...av&svy=&csm=no

you have probably seen this page if you have edited the registry. i would manually uninstall the program, reboot a couple times, and try to reinstall.
the error is telling you that the file is missing or misplaced.

Old 10-29-04, 08:10 AM
missdee
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Ok

I've try that and it still does work. I'm at my wits end about this I've done every thing it tells me to do and I can't get it to work. I hate pay $40 bucks for something and can't use it.

Old 10-29-04, 04:19 PM
asartor
Visiting Guest
norton antivirus

try to uninstall all you symantec software, restart your computer and go to symantec folder (usually c:\program files\symantec\..) and remove all folders and files... restart your computer, open regedit program and search for all symantec entryes on winodws reg. erase all that... restart again your computer... install all your symantec software and be happy....