Partition Magic

Old 10-31-04, 08:49 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Partition Magic

I have a 40 GB hard drive, a floppy drive, a dvd reader drive and a cd-rw drive. I have one partiton.I have been backing up my docs to cdrs/floppies and if big trouble occurs I reformat and reinstall. That obviously is inefficient as I have several progams I have to reinstall afterwards.
I tried imaging but it takes tons of cdrs and alot of time. The external hard drive might be a way but if there is a crash all is lost. Partition magic may be a solution but I don't know if the average user can configure and utilize it.
What I'm trying to is find a way to backup my machine so if there is a crash I can have available my docs, and my programs. With partion magic how do you arrange to have programs and docs in cetain drives so you can back them up and how do you back them up-I do not have a dvd writer as I said.

Old 10-31-04, 11:31 AM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you could use partition magic to add a partition to your drive. an example would be to take your 40 g. c: drive and turn it into a 30g. c: drive and 10 g. d: drive.
you could then store your docs to the d: drive, and any programs you dont have on cd already, like stuff you have downloaded. then you make incremental backups.....it saves everything the first time, and then only saves changes after that. keeps the backups alot smaller. the best way to do this is from a fresh format/install. install your operating system, and any programs you just have to have, and do a backup of that. if your c drive crashes, then you reinstall. you still have everything else on your d drive. but, if the hard drive itself goes kaput, you will lose everything on both c and d. if you have programs to install already on cd, why waste the space backing them up?
the better solution would be a second hard drive, either internal or external. backup an image, do not backup on the fly. the point of having 2 drives is so that if 1 crashes, you still have the other. the odds of them both going south at the same time is very small.

Old 10-31-04, 02:39 PM
P
partition magic

>>the better solution would be a second hard drive, either internal or external. backup an image, do not backup on the fly. the point of having 2 drives is so that if 1 crashes, you still have the other. the odds of them both going south at the same time is very small.

>Could you please explain this a little more?
Thank you

Old 11-01-04, 04:21 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basically, get either another internal hard drive at least the same size as the old one, or an external one, choose your backup software, like drive image 7, and then pick the way you want to back up, and how often. you can clone, or mirror, the drive, or make a compressed image. you can back up in almost real time(on the fly) or schedule once or twice a week. you can do full images, or do incremental, which you would do a full back up once, and then it would only back up the changes. whatever you do, make sure you do thorough antivirus and ad ware scans before backing up. you dont want to back up the virus or spyware/adware. with full drive copy, if the original c drive crashes, you can do a full recovery from the new drive. as long as you follow a few simple precautions, you should be fine.

Old 11-02-04, 12:39 PM
P
2nd hard drive

That reminder about the a/v and spyware was a good one-it's ez to overlook things like that when tyou have your mind on the 'bigger' job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: