Canon printer BJC 2000 won't print

Old 10-31-04, 05:50 PM
bigdog
Visiting Guest
Canon printer BJC 2000 won't print

Canon BJC 2000 printer quit printing after ink cartridge replaced. Switching back to old cartridge did not correct problem. Printer normally attempts to print even when cartridge empty.

Printer worked fine until black ink catridge replaced. After replacement, ink cartridge did not move back to right side when access door closed. Attempts to debug with microsoft printer wizard not helpful. Symptom seems to be no signal getting thru to printer. But hooking up an old printer which has panel lights seems to indicate some communication between tower and printer, but still no print.

Hardware VPR Matrix 1820. Microsoft Windows XP. Installed Ad-Aware about a week before this failure occured, with no obvious change in system operation.

Ask questions, please. I scanned existing threads and found nothing on point. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Bigdog.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-04, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have to tell your printer software that you installed a new ink cartridge. Mabie it has a maintenance cycle that it needs to run through your new cartridge before it prints. Also, before you put the new cartridge in there, did you remove the tape on the head first? All ink cartridges i've seen, come with a tape protecting the head. Check this. My two cents...

Old 11-02-04, 07:36 PM
bigdog
Visiting Guest
BJC 2000 printer

Thanks, Chris, for your quick response.

Canon catridges come with plastic caps, not tape, so it is impossible to load w/o removing cap. Tell me more about maintenance checks. All previous cartridge replacements came off w/o hitch doing just what I did this time. All further thoughts and ideas will be most welcome.

Don/bigdog

Old 11-02-04, 09:16 PM
Well, usually most of the printers seen in our day have software which talks to the printer, and usually there is a maintenance page or options in the software that you can tell you printer to do. Such as running a print allingment. My printer has this very thing. After installing a new cartridge, I must run a print allingment under the maintenance page in the software. Another thought is, does your printer or printer software have a reset? A ways of resetting the printer in case of trouble? Check your manual if you have one. Hopefully others will be able to give you ideas too.

Old 11-02-04, 09:54 PM
old_chipper
Visiting Guest
BJC Printer

I have two of those 2000 printers, only time I've had trouble with the carriage not returning, is when I didn't get the covers closed right.
Once I got a bad refill off eBay, had something sticky on it, I had to clean the connection with actone, be careful if you try that, too much and you might damage something. I used a Q-tip.
PS. You know you don't need to change the cartridges, when software tells you too, I wait until the print dosen't suit me.

Old 11-03-04, 02:35 PM
bigdog
Visiting Guest
Replies to latest ideas. Plea for more ideas.

Chris and Old Chipper,

Thanks for your ideas. Send more as they occur to you.

As you see in my initial posting, I've used the print wizard and followed all the tests, resets, and other directions without success. As you also see from my initial posting, I've tried to narrow down the problem by hooking up an old printer which has indicator lights, as different from the BJC 2000. The lights seem to indicate continuity with the stack, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Self-test executed at the HP printer produces a page of trash.

I see no electrical contacts on either the print cartridge or the holder into which the cartrige fits on the 2000. What did you clean? (The ink cartridge on my old HP does have electrical contacts.) My 2000 cartridge is OEM. Keep in mind I've changed cartridges for years with no problems. This is not a newbie mistake, altho the problem, while it may turn out to be simple to solve, is not obvious. What can break or wear out in the ink cartridge system? Is there a way to force the 2000 to try to print, beyond the troubleshooting steps in the print wizard? The access door closes solidly. What specifically will prevent the ink cartridges from moving back to the right when the door is closed? As you know, there are no switches or lights on the 2000. And yes, the printer is plugged in!

There is no low-ink alert on my 2000, as you seem to have on yours, Old Chip. In an analogy with old VWs, the indicator is when printing produces a faded or blank page, or, in the case of the old VWs, the car stops running. (That used to be fun, especially if you forgot to reset the lever when you refuelled which walled off a few liters of gas to keep you going. Not many of us forgot more than once.)

Don

Old 11-08-04, 10:56 AM
Thumbs down Color inkjet printer problems

I have a Lexmark Z22
It worked OK for a couple of months before it nolonger printed colors properly and finally became useless. The cartridge was still 3/4 full.
My son-in-law said I didn't use it enough to keep the cartridge from clogging.
After cleaning the cartridge didn't help, I replaced it. I could have purchased a new printer with a cartridge for what a replacement cartridge cost.
It worked fine for a couple of weeks. It seems I need to use it every day to keep it from clogging.

I have gone back to my Panasonic KXP 1124 black ribbon dot matrix printer, which has been trouble free for many years. Too bad Windows won't recognize the built-in fonts of this printer. Windows soft-fonts are very slow.

The Z22 sits on the shelf, collecting dust!

Old 11-08-04, 11:28 AM
R
CybersaurusREXX, what do you expect from a cheap printer?

By the way, the cartridges usually shipped with printers are not full cartridges, they are partial cartridges, which is how they can sell the printer so cheap. They want you to run out of ink quickly and have to replace the cartridges.

Old 11-08-04, 02:48 PM
I don't know what to tell you. If you have tried all the troublshooting techniques, than mabie you have to have your computer and printer checked by a certified pro. Make sure you download the free programs for spyware and virus removal located at this link. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=157468

Old 11-08-04, 04:48 PM
hacker
Visiting Guest
Another thing to try,

Sometimes deleting the printer from "System Manager" and re-booting and then re-installing the drivers will solve this type of problem.

A lot of times driver problems can happen after things like you mentioned.

Also, do you have another cartridge? I had a bad one once and spent two weeks trying to get it to work and finally broke down and bought a new one and and it worked fine.

Oh, that printer troubleshooting in MS, to me, a waste of time.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-01-04, 01:35 AM
XGodeksX
Visiting Guest
To Don:
Have you solved a problem with the printer?
The matter is that I had the same problem with my Cannon BJC 2000. I think that a problem in printing cartrige, however I do not have opportunity to try to insert another. If you tried to change the cartrige write please.
I apologize for bad English I from Ukraine and in daily life don't use this language.

Old 12-01-04, 04:30 AM
B
All the software test in the world won't help here. The key is that the cartridge didn't go "home" after the cartridge was replaced. Software on the computer won't diagnose that. You need to do a better visual inspection of the printer.

Old 12-01-04, 04:39 AM
bigdog
Visiting Guest
Ink cartridge swap, more diagnosis

Yes, I tried changing the ink cartridge without success.

I later took the printer to a discount computer supply store. A technician noted that nothing happens when the button on top of the printer in the center is pushed. He interprets this as, "this printer is dead. It would cost more to diagnose and repair than the cost of a new printer."

I hate to give up on this little printer, so I have it in a box for futher tinkering by some hobbyist at some future time. But I have moved on to a new HP printer, which is not able to print documents which the little Canon could print. HP does not allow text to be as long on a page as does Canon, and this makes printing of some forms impossible until I edit them to be smaller.

I suppose this could be a subject for a new thread: how can I override the margin limits on the HP to allow use of the last 0.49" on a page? I'd settle for access to half that off-limits margin. An extra quarter inch on the bottom of a page would let me print my existing forms.

Old 12-01-04, 05:43 AM
bigdog
Visiting Guest
Tell me exactly what to look for, please

BobF,

I'll meticulously do a better visual inspection, if you can tell me in detail what I'm supposed to look for. Of course I looked inside the access door, gently moved the print head assembly by hand to be sure it was not caught in some way, and then took off the cover and looked at everything seeable.

The circuit board is very impressive, but that's about all I can tell visually.

How can I go about finding a hobbyist who gets satisfaction out of ressurecting forelorn printers? I am willing to accept the computer store tech's advice that commercial diagnosing and repairing would cost more than replacing. Who I seek is someone into rescuing the hopeless cases, for free (plus parts).

I just went through an experience with our Carrier gas furnace, and after paying over $400 for a tiny circuit board and $226 for a single pole, double throw pressure switch, I am again sobered about commercially repairing our modern machinery. I wish I would have known that the service call would cost $760 ahead of time, so I could have looked at the alternative course of action of replacing that 18 year old furnace.

I come from the age of "repair it; waste not, want not." Our culture is now the "remove and replace" age, and has been for decades. I like DIY because it still supports the hope that careful diagnosis, some clever adaptation, and a little sweat equity can save a bundle. I love making do with bailing wire, paperclips and spit -- oh, and duct tape, now, too.

I like the idea of mutual self-help, of swapping "leessons learned."

Are you old enough to know about a series in "Popular Science" about clever car repair fixes? Gus ran the Model Garage, and solved problems which other mechanics could't touch -- and also took pot shots at "misguided" car owners who would try to avoid asking the garage for help. I like the cleverness. I also appreciate the idea, WHEN APPROPRIATE, "pay me now, or pay me later."

What DIY can do is supply the cleverness and personal success "lessons learned" experience to those who want to invest personal effort, thought and labor in avoiding the "$85 for the first half hour" (the heating repair company's rate) charges asked by the Remove and Replace industry.

Old 12-01-04, 06:28 AM
B
Bigdog,

The cartridge seems to be stuck by something. I can't really say what to look for, but whatever it is won't be very big at all. You might even try a can of air on the tracks.

Yes, I remember Popular Science and Popular Mechanics and the "Ask Smokey" and "Gus" columns.

This has become a throw-away world. I got a new VCR a couple of years ago. The old one needed to be repaired. I knew what the part was and how to replace it. The part cost me more than a new vcr and the new vcr was better than what I was going to fix. I rebuilt an old computer last year. All I could salvage from the old one was the drives and monitor. I still spent as much to do that as a new and better Dell would have cost me.