2nd hard drive

Old 11-01-04, 12:19 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
2nd hard drive

If I were to backup my CI only have one partition) to an extrnal hard drive using Drive Image and a failure occurred, would the C: drive in my machine be ok as the transfer was an image?

Old 11-01-04, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depends on the failure. If the C: drive failed (coincidence much?), then it would be dead.

Chris

Old 11-01-04, 03:35 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the whole point of backing up is so you have at least 2 copies of everything.
the backup doesnt take anything off the c drive, it would only copy it to the external drive. if the c drive crashed, it could be reformatted and by using the backup copy, be restored. if the c drive died, and was no longer usable, then you could go buy another hard drive, and bring it back to the original state , again by using the backup copy. the only time you would lose any information would be if the c drive failed/died, and there was info on it that hadn't been backed up yet(hopefully only a few days worth) or if for some reason that both hard drives had terminal failure (highly unlikely). even if the backup drive failed, you would still have the original, and could get another drive, and start the backups again.
if there was a failure in the backup transfer itself, it should not effect your c drive.

Old 11-02-04, 11:35 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
2nd hard drive

Your information was very helpful, thanx.
It now seems as though I can just follow the prompts to back up from Drive Image backup to backup the C: to the external hard drive. If necessary to restore then just follow the restore prompts from the external hard drive to the macine's C: drive. B/c it's an image failure is unlikely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: