workgroup

Old 11-14-04, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
workgroup

Hi,

Is there any way to have more than one workgroup on one XP install? I need to connect to my work network from home via VPN. The instructions that came with the software (Nortel) says to change the workgroup (under system properties) then reboot. Any way to avoid this procedure? I have a home network and I would like to connect to both networks without rebooting and switching back and forth. and make this process as seamless as possible.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-04, 03:36 PM
R
The question is, how do you wish to connect to your work network? Do you simply want to access the hard drive on a machine or two, or do you actually want to log in and access the network as if you are right there on the network?

Old 11-14-04, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
This is the only way I think it will work. I have connected this way bedore but I want to connect without changing the workgroup on my laptop.

Old 11-14-04, 04:21 PM
R
You do not need to change your workgroup to access machines that are on the work network, nor do you have to log in to the work network.

Plug in the IP address of the work machine you want to access. You will be presented with a logon window, where you enter in a username of a network user and the correct password. You will then be allowed to access the machine you are trying to connect to.

This is how I connect to my company's network. My home PC is not a member of the domain at work.

Old 11-15-04, 04:33 AM
B
The key part of the Nortel is the token group ID and token group password. That is needed to get inside your company's firewall. This is not the same as the workgroup.

Racraft, its not that easy. If the company has sophisticated security (as they should), one cannot simply plug in an ip address.

Old 11-15-04, 03:48 PM
R
BobF, I am quite familiar with VPN and with networks. On my home setup I have VPN connections to two different networks, but thanks for your concern.

When one has already entered the appropriate passwords for ther VPN connections, and when one has previously entered their network ID and password for the destination network, it is indeed as simple as entering the IP address or name of the other system.

That's what makes VPN so nice to use. When you configure your connection properly it is as if you are right on the same network.

Old 11-16-04, 04:36 AM
B
We are talking about the same thing, Bob. We are just at different points of the connection. I see ra trying to get past the firewall and you already have him past it. If outside the firewall, you cannot just give it the IP. Once in the firewall, as you say the connections are properly set, then you can indeed enter any ip on the network.

I read ra's post as though he thought he needed to change his workgroup to get past the firewall.

Old 11-16-04, 04:46 PM
Simply put, my question was: Can I change my computer's workgroup without rebooting it. I think the answer is "no."

What I did was change the workgroup on this computer and my desktop to the same workgroup name that the company instructions suggested.

I connected and everything works fine.

Now, I'm going to change the workgroup back to "HOME" and see if I can still connect. This will verify racraft's statement that I do not need to change the workgroup to connect to my work's network.

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 11-16-04, 05:22 PM
R
Again, what is your definition of connect? There are also other factors to consider. Do you have appropriate routes setup? What IP addresses are involved? There are numerous items to consider. Changing your workgroup may hide some of these other factors.

Old 11-16-04, 05:45 PM
My definition of "connect" in this instance is to login from home and work from home PC just like I was sitting in front of my PC at work.

I just got finished doing this so I am happy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: