Will longhorn O.S. work on a pent 4

Old 11-15-04, 07:35 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Will longhorn O.S. work on a pent 4

I was wondering if the longhorn O.S. will work
on a pent 4 or will it work only on new 64bit computers AMD?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 07:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will probably function on Pentium 4 chips, yes, but we won't know for sure until at least some Beta's are released.

Key word, though is FUNCTION. To truly work right, the processor will really need to be 64-bit.

Chris

Old 11-15-04, 09:05 AM
It would be pretty foolish of Microsoft to release an OS that won't work on the vast majority of their customer's computers (i.e. non 64 bit processors).

It will undoubtedly work on Pent 4 and lower processors, and will surely be quite scalable when it comes to functionality (i.e. the main GUI is 3D, so some older machines may not be able to use it to full functionality).

Old 11-15-04, 12:15 PM
The big question is, will longhorn be much better than XP? When XP first came out, had a ton of bugs and problems. And even though alot have been fixed, there still is problems with it. For example, no matter what I do, can not get WinXP Pro to play games right. Has some problem with the video. In my view, the only reason to buy longhorn is if it is much better than XP and has no problems.

Old 11-16-04, 07:08 PM
tae
For example, no matter what I do, can not get WinXP Pro to play games right. Has some problem with the video
that is probably between your video card and it's software, not win xp. I have been able to play games just fine, and i like games, as do my kids.

the only reason to buy longhorn is if it is much better than XP and has no problems.
it will be better. no problems? lol every software will probably have problems, especially an operating system as they are done now. most people dont really understand the magnitude of trying to make an O.S. compatable with all the hardware/software thats been put out there for the last 10 years.

Old 11-21-04, 11:11 PM
demonizedbudgie
Visiting Guest
windows is a crappy operating system anyway. microsoft doesnt need to make a decent os anyway, because practically everyone in the world only knows windows and will automatically just buy it. this is because other, better operating systems such as linux are hard to get and not well publicised enough, so people go on buying buggy, resource sapping, virus prone windows instead.

Old 11-22-04, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by demonizedbudgie
windows is a crappy operating system anyway. microsoft doesnt need to make a decent os anyway, because practically everyone in the world only knows windows and will automatically just buy it.
While there's certainly some truth to that, there are nicer ways of saying it, mate. I'm an open source guy myself, and am no lover of Windows, but let's not attack it. It has its place in the world.

this is because other, better operating systems such as linux are hard to get and not well publicised enough
Not even remotely true, friend. Linux is extremely easy to get. There are a zillion places all over the web to download different linux distros, the mosted noted of which is www.linuxiso.org

Linux is extremely well-known and is installed by the thousands everyday.

Chris

Old 11-22-04, 02:26 PM
While Linux is a good operating system, it is NOT mainstream, and has a ways to go before it is. Even the Linux community itself admits that they aren't quite ready for most home users. Sure, the computer savvy ones can handle it, but the vast majority of computer users lack the knowledge that is necessary to use it.

Add to that that the majority of hardware vendors roll out the Windows drivers first, and only get to the Linux drivers later and you have a real problem. We're still waiting for a Linux driver for a new laptop at work, and it's four months old now. They keep promising and promising, but haven't delivered it yet.

Old 11-22-04, 03:46 PM
demonizedbudgie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by WorldBuilder
Not even remotely true, friend. Linux is extremely easy to get. There are a zillion places all over the web to download different linux distros, the mosted noted of which is www.linuxiso.org

Linux is extremely well-known and is installed by the thousands everyday.

Chris
thats ok if you have a fast internet connection. most linux distros weigh in at over 1gb. it could take days or even weeks to download on dial-up.

Old 11-22-04, 05:11 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Pentium 4 prescott die's have 64 bit architecture, it just isn't activated. It won't be a big transition for intel to go 64. The harware is there, the interconnects are not flipped yet.

btw. In what universe did 64 bit mean better? Bigger virtual pages, more complex memory schemes. More addressable space. I'm not sold.

Also, this isn't the first time 64 bits has been tried. I believe in the mid 90's they tried and failed due to the inherent drawbacks of 64 bit vs. 32. The only application that I can see benefitting is the gaming universe for the new pci express 16x slots. But they crunch almost all of their information on board. maybe the market should focus on 64 bit vpu's rather than cpu's. Seems like a marketing ploy is about to bubble again.

Old 11-22-04, 07:39 PM
thats ok if you have a fast internet connection. most linux distros weigh in at over 1gb. it could take days or even weeks to download on dial-up.
Don't need a fast connection. Many distros are surprisingly small. Besides, there petty much isn't an ISO that couldn't be downloaded overnight on 56k.

Chris

Old 11-22-04, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by SkyKing
Also, this isn't the first time 64 bits has been tried. I believe in the mid 90's they tried and failed due to the inherent drawbacks of 64 bit vs. 32. The only application that I can see benefitting is the gaming universe for the new pci express 16x slots. But they crunch almost all of their information on board. maybe the market should focus on 64 bit vpu's rather than cpu's. Seems like a marketing ploy is about to bubble again.
Couldn't agree more! Hell, 64-bit technology has been out for decades. While the gaming industry will probably benefit most, I agree that vpu's need more attention.

However, let's not forget media authoring and photo/video editing programs as being power hungry. Once 64-bit becomes mainstream, you can bet that companies like Adobe, Macromedia, and others will have programs lying in wait to take advantage of it. I'd be the first one lining up for PS 64.

Chris