Slow System Responce Time

Old 11-11-04, 09:06 AM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Slow System

My old computer seems to have gotten really, really slow lately. It's a Compaq Presario running Windows 98. It has an ADM K6tm processor and 32 mb RAM. It has plenty of free hard disk space. The virtual memory setting is Windows default. What it seems to be doing is constantly writing to the disk. Anytime I load a new program, such as AdAware, it seems like it writes (reads) to the disk non-stop. This is true with most anything I do, even IE. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-04, 09:24 AM
las
Visiting Guest
Do all maintenance in safemode

This is nothing new for windows 98/se users.I had windows 98/SE myself
at one time and the only way your going to get any maintenance done
is in safemode if you've never gone into safe mode do a restart then tap the f-5 key it will eventually take you into safe mode[this could take a few minutes so have patients]Then when your in safemode go threw the motions again run scan disk then defrag you cannot schedule this so you'll have to
baby it threw..It's kinda misleading isn't it all this scheduling maintenance
when you get windows xp[SP-2] you'll fly threw it all it is so much better
Do your updates before you go into safemode with ad-aware.Then go into safemode and preform all your maintenance then you'll see a differant computer after that it will be fast and effective nothing wrong with windows
98/SE just need to know how to work with it!

Old 11-11-04, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When was the last time you reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows? Windows 98 becomes bogged down after a while (same for Windows 95 and Windows MyEnemy) and needs to be reinstalled.

If you haven't done so in over a year, it's probably time.

Old 11-11-04, 03:23 PM
Add some ram

32MB is pretty minimal for windows 98. While defragmentation, various scheduled tasks, and odd-n-ends running in the system tray are all things that will slow down 98 (and most any version of windows) you would see a noticable speed improvement with another 64MB-128MB of ram.

Old 11-12-04, 08:40 AM
As Racraft said, a reformat/reinstall is definitely in order. Win98 slowly pollutes itself over time, and your system eventually bogs down under all the crap. Anywone familiar with troubleshooting Win95 through WinME has seen this dozens of times before.

When I had the Win 9Xs installed, I would make a point of reformatting/reinstalling at least every 6 to 9 months. Do this, and you'll see a return to its former K6, 32 MB glory.

Old 11-12-04, 10:20 AM
Get rid of Kazza!

Old 11-16-04, 09:49 AM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Windows Explore -- 2 questions

I have two questions about Windows Explore.

First, how do I change the default directory it opens. I'd like it to go to My Documents, not the Startup directory.

Second, somehow the top line of menus has disappeared. I can no longer, for example, create a new directory as the File menu button is gone (as are all the other top-line menu buttons). Anyone know how I can get it back?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-16-04, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
what version of windows are you using
this would help alot

cheers

Old 11-16-04, 09:54 AM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Systems

I use 200 at home (where the top-line menu is gone) and WinXP professional at work (where I want to change the default explore location).

Old 11-16-04, 09:55 AM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Systems

That should be Win 2000 at home, not 200. Sorry

Old 11-16-04, 11:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ChrisInMD
First, how do I change the default directory it opens. I'd like it to go to My Documents, not the Startup directory.
Click on the Windows Explorer icon and in the Target box type the location of My Documents. Something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\My Documents

Originally Posted by ChrisInMD
Second, somehow the top line of menus has disappeared. I can no longer, for example, create a new directory as the File menu button is gone (as are all the other top-line menu buttons). Anyone know how I can get it back?
That's a weird one. Never seen that. Um, have you done a virus/spyware scan? Start there.

Chris

Old 11-16-04, 11:16 AM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
I run two spyware programs, AdAware and one other I can't remember, but it's one that is recommended here a lot, and one trojan remover. No luck on fixing the problem.

Is there any way to reload just Explore?

Old 11-16-04, 01:14 PM
Explorer May Have Crashed

Explorer may have crashed without automatically restarting. This happens sometimes with Win 2000. You need to restart Explorer. Here's how:

1. Close all visible Windows Explorer windows. Other running applications can be left alone.
2. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then click Task Manager.
3. In the Windows Task Manager application that appears, select New Task (Run) from the File menu.
4. Type Explorer and click Ok.

Please post back your results.

Old 11-16-04, 03:48 PM
Change thew shortcut that you use to start explorer. Place a /e option on the command line. followed by a comma, a space and the the directory you want to open. For example, to open in the c:\temp directory, use the following:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, "c:\temp"

As for the missing menu, you will have to look through the settings and find the one that you accidentally turned off, and turn it back on.

Old 11-16-04, 07:55 PM
tae
Simply modify the shortcut that you use to open Windows Explorer (for instance, Start, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer), by right-clicking it and choosing Properties. In the Target field, add /n, /e, path/folder using the path and folder name that you want to be the new default.

To change the default setting so that all top–level drives and folders are shown, follow these steps:
1.Click Start, point to Programs, then Accessories, then right–click Windows Explorer, and click Properties.
2.Under Target field, which reads %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe, add to make the line read %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, /select, C:\
3.Click OK.
Now when you open Windows Explorer you get to choose from all the folders and drives, not just My Documents.

You could always just put a shortcut to "my documents" on the desktop.

under your "view" menu, click on toolbars, and check the ones you want.

Old 11-22-04, 03:11 PM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
my system got slow

theres something wrong with my system. i installed mozilla firefox and ever since then it's gotten slow. i'm running microsoft windows XP home edition, service pack 1. i have a dell dimension 2400, pentium 4 CPU 2.53 GHz. i know it would seem logical to uninstall mozilla firefox, but if that weren't the problem then i wouldn't have a way to get any information since internet explorer is running extremely slow. any suggestions?

Old 11-22-04, 03:49 PM
Is your computer slow only when you run firefox? Than obviously, you need to remove it. Or, does it run slow all the time? If it runs slow all the time, you may have spyware on your computer. I would first run a virus scan and spyware scan and make sure your computer is clean. My two cents...

Old 11-22-04, 06:46 PM
tae
is it only running slow on the internet, or all ther time. if you installed firefox from the official site, there shouldnt be any problem. since you say internet explorer is also slow, i would think that you have spyware/adware. run a sweeper like ad aware or spybot s & d.

Old 11-22-04, 08:44 PM
Actually, I experienced this myself a few months ago with an older version of FF. I noticed that FF was sucking over 90% of the cpu most of the time, and my system speed died.

I even submitted to Bugzilla about it (will have to find it). I uninstalled, reinstalled a newer version, and have not had trouble since.

My advice? Try an uninstall and reinstall. To my knowledge, my Bugzilla report was never figured out and was a bug that remains a mystery.

Chris

Old 11-22-04, 10:00 PM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
my system is still slow...

i posted a comment earlier about my computer becoming slow after i installed mozilla firefox.so i uninstalled mozilla firefox, ran AVG, spy cleaner, and adaware yet my system is still incredibly slow. one thing i did notice is after leaving my computer for a few hours microsoft notepad opened up and had some long code in it. stupidly, i did not save this file, so i can't show you exactly what it said. right now im using safe mode and it seems to make things run a bit faster. any more suggestions?

Old 11-23-04, 06:08 AM
You might have some version of the Mydoom worm. Symantec lists the notepad thing as one of the symptoms.

http://[email protected]

You can download the removal tool from Symantec here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

Old 11-23-04, 06:48 AM
I'd agree... You could be doomed. That was a nasty one. Check on the previous fix and let us know!

Chris

Old 11-23-04, 07:14 AM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all of you. This post came from my son, a 17-year-old high school senior making his first post here. I'll walk him through the fixes you all have sent when he gets home from school today. One of us will let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-27-04, 11:01 PM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
my system is screwed

i wrote earlier about my system getting slow cuz of some virus. everybody thought it was the mydoom virus but it wasnt. i downloaded that remover and it didnt find it. the virus just started doing something new though... a command window pops up whenever i start up windows and internet explorer opens up with a blank screen. on the top of explorer it says some weird thing and those windows that say "download this yes or no" pop up. WTF is wrong with my computer???

Old 11-27-04, 11:48 PM
Your system has been hosed down by a virus or viruses. Download the free virus programs such as AVG, Avast 4, and run them on your computer to remove any viruses. It also would not hurt to remove spyware that could be on there. And incase you can not fix this without a format and clean install of the OS, I would backup the essential things on your computer right away.

Old 11-28-04, 07:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Arrow Posts Merged Into One Thread

Hello: Chris

I merged all the recent threads found into this single thread. (Post) Reason is, makes it much easier to follow along in the process. Tech person friend of mine here with me now, had same problem others are likely to have. Unable to follow along when the same problem or like problem is posted in a new post.

Kindly use the reply button to continue this thread so long as the subject remains the same, etc. Not about to post helpful advice here nor now. Not the intent to do so. Simply to combine all posts.

But he is wondering if any of the prior settings you changed and or browsers downloaded have effected the OS. May be causes for the current problem(s) and not associated with spyware and or viruses, etc.

Changes you have made prior, to OS system ,etc, which would not have been known had the prior posts you made on this same subject not been read. Thus the reason(s) for the merging of posts into this one thread.

Hope the present condition gets resolved.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions. Using this method moves your question back up to the top of the list of questions automatically.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-28-04, 11:48 AM
ChrisInMD
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help to all of you. I posted my issues under different threads because they were on different sysetms and people seem to want to know system details in responding to a problem.

The first thing I posted about a slow system on a Compaq was solved by following the advice I got here to start in safe mode and defrag.

The second about a problem with the explorer menu items being gone is still not fixed -- I open explorer and there are no top-line menus.

The third, on my son's system and the virus, is solved but only because I ran msconfig and turned off a dozen or so unknown items that were loading at start-up. He upgaded Ad-aware and SpyBot and ran them both, finding nothing. His AVG also found nothing. He downloaded and ran the MyDoom erase program, but it said MyDoom was not on his system. He thinks he got the virus from a zip file a friend sent to him, but we have no idea what virus it was. Never-the-less, his system is back to normal.

Thanks to all of you who helped,

Chris

Old 11-28-04, 02:36 PM
Different virus removal tools work differently than others. Meaning one time I found a virus with AVG but not with norton anti virus. Please download Avast 4 and see if that pics up any viruses.