printer problem

Old 11-29-04, 09:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
printer problem

Have a Pentium 2 pc at home 450Mhz.the system worked fine until I moved the whole system to another room. Bfore I moved it I had the printer ( hp 722c) hooked up through the scanner to the lpt1 port. Now I removed the scanner and hooked the printer directly to the port with the hp cable. for some reason it will not print. When I go to test communication I get a general protection fault or printer is busy. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software but it will not communicate with the printer. Funny thing is when I try to install the software as I'm going through the installation it says " cannot find HP 722c on LPT1" but then the software loads but won't print. I tried an old Cannon bubble jet I have laying around , I plugged it in using the same cable and port, installed the software ( which said "found Canon printer on LPT1") and it works fine no problems. I have tried for 8 hours to get the HP to work and in 5 minutes I had the Canon working. I went Back and tried the HP again but still nothing. HELP PLEASE.

Old 11-29-04, 09:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you remove all the scanner software?

Chris

Old 11-29-04, 09:51 AM
J
re:

yes, all scanning software has been removed

Old 11-29-04, 09:58 AM
C
Try uninstalling all HP programs, then install after rebooting.

Is this operating system Windows XP?

Old 11-29-04, 11:51 AM
I doubt this will matter, but is the cable you are using to hook up the 722C a bi-directional cable?

Chris

Old 11-29-04, 02:08 PM
R
Make sure that the computer and printer are connected to the same electrical receptacle and that the receptacle is properly grounded. Parallel connections need a good ground reference at both the computer and at the printer.

Old 11-29-04, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Make sure that the computer and printer are connected to the same electrical receptacle and that the receptacle is properly grounded. Parallel connections need a good ground reference at both the computer and at the printer.
That's interesting. I never knew that.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: