Start up error message quandry

Old 11-30-04, 06:45 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys! I am hoping y'all might help me on a small matter here.

I have an old Compaq 1685 (win 98) laptop computer that my wife still uses to type reports at home for her job. I'd say I got my money's worth with this 6 year old machine that never needed servicing! Lately I've been getting the message: Error; not enough disc space to create the suspend to disk file while ol' faithful is groaning back to life (booting up) Frankly, I'm not certain when this started. I only noticed it after dumping a whole bunch of unused programs to create more disc space on the 3 gig hd and adding more memory. Thus far it does what we ask, only word processing and printing, without complaint.

I'm not complaining either, just curious. I have thus far not found any mention of this problem in any of the troubleshooting manuals and forums I've accessed. I figure one of you smart guys might know.

Thanks!

EGreen

Old 11-30-04, 06:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Defrag the HDD. I think that's all you need.

Chris

Old 11-30-04, 09:23 AM
E
Great, shame to say, I didn't even consider using a windows utility as a possible fix. I was thinking my HD was on the fritz. I'll try it. Thanks!

Old 11-30-04, 10:00 AM
tae
i believe you can change how it saves in the power management section.

Old 11-30-04, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by EGreen
Great, shame to say, I didn't even consider using a windows utility as a possible fix. I was thinking my HD was on the fritz. I'll try it. Thanks!
Please let me know if it works or not.

Chris

Old 12-01-04, 09:10 PM
E
Well, now I've got a real problem and the wife ain't very happy! I defragged the Hard disk. Problem is that when I re-booted to see if I had eliminated the problem, the Harddrive would not ...I should say, Does not kick in. It will hang at that point in the booting up process, the listing of phoenix systems (hd manufacturer), where I formally got the error message then goes right back to the begining of start up. Any clue what's happening here? More importantly how this might be remedied? Could this be the end?

EGreen

Old 12-02-04, 03:13 AM
E
Misc:

I have noticed as of late that the bottom of the machine seemed unusually hot during operation. (The fan has always seemed a bit screwy in either running continuously from start to shut down to long periods of silence. It was running the whole time I was defragging)

Fiddling around without an idea or clue, I pressed f8 upon windows start up and got a series of POST beeps.

Am I wrong in concluding that this is definitely a hardware meltdown and not a software conflict?

EGreen

Old 12-02-04, 11:31 AM
Probably not software. Laptops always run a BIT hot, especially of that generation, but my guess is that it is overheating, and the BIOS is shutting the system down in order to prevent a true "meltdown".

Replace the fan. Might be tricky on a laptop, and you might need a qualified tech to do it if it's worth it to you to pay for it.

Chris

Old 12-04-04, 06:45 AM
E
From what I've gathered, if my computer is unable to POST,complete the BIOS configuration and detect the hard disks, etc. it is very likely that the motherboard is damaged and needs to be replaced.

I suppose I should have looked into the possible fan malfunction earlier.

RIP Ol' faithful

EGreen

is it truly over????

Old 12-05-04, 05:53 AM
E
Maybe I'm posting to myself at this point, but I am wondering if the fact that I can boot up successfully in safe mode is indicative of a less than fatal outcome (not otherwise specified here). ?

Of course I've never had a clue what to do in safe mode. I didn't even know how to start in safe mode with the f5 key until now. In the past if there was a problem I would automatically be taken to safe mode where (other than running Scandisk only rarely) I would simply restart windows to normalcy. This is certainly not the solution here.

Still I must ask, is it too late to take an interest in the thing, are there non-expert solutions for the willing and half-able (not laughable) to pursue?

I'm in the dog house! My wife, who thinks computers should be as durable and reliable as a toaster, is pissed, she thinks I messed up by trying to fix what, to her awareness, was'nt broke.

Do I have to be extra generous for the holidays?

EGreen

Old 12-05-04, 05:25 PM
tae
do you have your windows disks?

Old 12-06-04, 01:16 AM
E
I do have the compaq product recovery disk, I don't have the windows disk(s).

Old 12-06-04, 04:43 AM
A
Will the laptop boot normally from a "cold" state?

You mentioned earlier that it failed to boot after you defragged the hard disk. Defragging generates quite a bit of hard disk activity, which generates quite a bit of heat, which is why Worldbuilder's diagnosis of a heat related problem is most likely correct. I am not aware of any software related problems that can cause problems during POST.

If it were me, I might try to replace the fan in the laptop with one that moves more air. While I was at it, I would give the innards of the laptop a good once-over with a can of compressed air, making sure to dislodge as much dust as possible. This would cost you, at most, 10 or 15 bucks and an hour or two of elbow grease. Just make sure to make note of exactly how the laptop goes back together, as some can be a bit tricky.

Old 12-06-04, 07:20 PM
tae
if you can boot to safe mode at any time, and do whatever for however long, i dont think its a heat issue. when you defraged,a file or driver could of gotten corrupted. i wish there was an error screen. that would help narrow it down. if you can use the restore cd to rewrite windows over itself, that should solve the problem. if you cant, there are some other troubleshooting steps we can try.

Old 12-07-04, 03:06 AM
E
I will go with Tae's less invasive suggestion here and try the restore as my next move. If this and all else fails, I will open it up and fiddle around, given that there will be nothing much to loose at that point.

I'll check back.

Thanks all for your continued assistance.

EGreen

Old 12-07-04, 09:02 AM
B

If you do open your case, you may as well try a reboot at that point to see if your problem is heat-related. The open case will greatly reduce the heat inside. Of course, if you have a heat-related problem, the damage may have already been done. But it's worth a try.

Bob

Old 12-07-04, 01:44 PM
R
Just an FYI, if your wife has any documents or files that she needs you should get those off of the HD before doing anytype of manufacture's restore. They usually don't care for your data and will simple wipe your system with a factory image.

Try this since you can get into safe mode. If the problem is a driver issue I would recommend uninstalling the common culprits and letting windows re-detect them.

While in safe mode go to device manager in the control panel. Then remove your video(display adapter), sound card, modem drivers. Reboot and see if you can get to the main desktop without having to boot in safe mode.

If you can post more info as to where it hangs.

Old 12-07-04, 06:06 PM
E
Ok, I ran the system restore. In the rebooting and subsequent tries I am getting the error message: File not found C:\cpqdru\*.* _ and this is where it stands. I can get into safe mode.

To back track, during the system restore, I was informed that I had only about 89% of the needed space. I was given the option to continue or quit I went on with it given that it didn't make sense to me as it is system restore for this computer.

Also, just when system restore completed an error message came and went too quickly for me to record (error DZIP...?)

Now what???? I appreciate all of the input I've been getting! Just be honest when you think I'm beating a dead horse.

EGreen

Old 12-10-04, 06:35 AM
E
Ok, I am about to abandon this project of resuscitating this old machine, as it is way beyond my low level of expertise. A guy is offering me a 5 y/o Thinkpad 600E for $200, I might go for it. Likely I will check back if anyone wishes to convince me otherwise.

Thanks all!

EGreen

Old 12-10-04, 10:44 AM
B
If you do decide to get the "new" laptop, before you toss your other one, you may want to remove the hard drive. If you can find someone with a desktop you could install your drive as a slave to theirs thereby (possibly) allowing you to recover your important files. You may even be able to do it on the new laptop if there is a spare power plug and a second connector on the ribbon cable for the hard drive. Then you could simply copy your files to the master hard drive. You would likely need to modify the old drive by changing a jumper setting on the old drive to make it a slave. Your wife would be eternally grateful.

Bob

Old 12-10-04, 10:51 AM
A
That's a great point, but he'll need to pick up an adapter for a notebook drive, which you can find at Radioshack, CompUSA, etc.

Old 12-11-04, 02:40 AM
E
Thanks guys. Fortunately I have her documents on floppy's. Having done the system restore I don't think there would be anything left to save. Now my only challenge is to stay the course in getting a modestly priced, used replacement instead of getting the best and newest on the market, which I have a tendancy to do. Considering the modest demands on it, there is little need to break the bank. Besides, my wife is very set in her ways when it comes to work related computing. She's been forced to work on this new desktop, large screen, latest O.S, Word progam etc., and has cursed it (and me) all along. She wants her 12 inch screen and Word 97 and so she will have it...as I will once again have peace.

EGreen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: