Upgrading possible?

Old 12-03-04, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading possible?

Sorry for the noob question, but I searched and didn't find an answer.

Is it possible to upgrade my home PC from Windows ME to Windows 2000 Professional? I assumed that it could be done, but I found something on the Windows website that made me think that ME cannot be upgraded.

If so, great, but if not, here's the reason I'm asking.

I'm currently running on Windows ME (an HP Pavillion) it's become increasingly unstable and the IT guy at work offered to let me take home the Windows 2000 Pro disk. While it's great that he let me use the Windows 2000 Pro disk (oddly) he's not the most reliable when it comes to info on computers (he's killed 2 of my work computers while performing various tasks, and I don't completely trust him when he says I can just run the upgrade.

Bottom line is, if I run the disk and try to install Windows 2000 Pro on the computer I have (yes it meets the minimum hardware requirements) what will happen? Will it simply upgrade the OS and everything will be roughly as it was (but more stable)? Will it screw-up everything I currently have on my computer? I've never upgraded my OS before, I usually ended up buying a new computer in the past, but that's not an option right now.

Thanks for any help!

-matt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 02:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It PROBABLY won't screw anything up, and yes, you can just upgrade (although it might not if it's a full version of 2000, not an upgrade CD).

HOWEVER, it is logical to assume that what he has given you is an illegal copy of 2000. ASK him if he has enough licenses to cover your installation. If not, you will be running an illegal OS.

I won't tell on you personally, but it's not the greatest thing.

Chris

Old 12-03-04, 03:09 PM
To upgrade from Windows MyEnemy edition to Windows 2000 you need a full version of Windows 2000. You cannot upgrade to Windows 2000 from Windows MyEnemy, Microsoft will not allow it.

Whenever upgrading your operating system it is best to completely erase your hard drive, reformat it and start over. This is especially true if going from Windows 98 or Windows MyEnemy, but is also true for other versions of Windows.

Old 12-03-04, 05:33 PM
ok then...

...I'll have to check into the lisensing issue. I'm pretty sure that it's the same disk he uses to instal on new desktops at work. As there's significantly fewer employees at the company now than there were recently he may available liscenses (if that's how it works).

I'm fairly sure that it's the full version of Windows 2k Pro. Is there any way that I can load it and if it doesn't work, or things go wonky I can uninstall or "roll it back" like with the different Explorer versions?

Formatting my hard-drive and blowing out everything isn't worth it yet, especially since I'm not sure about the process for accomplishing that and still saving every thing we want (documents, picture, music, and who knows what else). I'll cross that bridge when and if I have to come to it.

In the mean time, is there any way to install Windows 2k Pro Full Version on a current Windows ME system? If not, I can always just live with the way it is now (most of the errors seem to be Explorer based), I just wanted to take advantage of having the Win2k Pro disk if I could, while I had it

If it's not possible (which might be what racraft is telling me) that's fine just tell me, but I'm willing to try something if it may be possible, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks guys.

-Matt
(go Steelers!)

Old 12-03-04, 05:56 PM
nevermind, because...

...I finally found the appropriate page on the Windows website. It explicitly states what racraft said. Windows 2000 cannot be upgraded or installed on a system currently running Windows ME ([email protected] ME). I'd have to back up my files, format the hard drive, install the new OS, install all my apps, and then transfer all my data.

I also have a Windows NT 4.0 disk (it was in with the Windows 2k Pro), but I'm sure that would run into the same problems as Windows 2k Pro. #&@$^~! Microsoft Windows ME!

Ok, thanks for your help. I'll just live with my problems for now and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks anyways.

-Matt
(go steelers!)

Old 12-03-04, 07:00 PM
There are two issues you are running into.

The first is that Windows MyEnemy is newer than Windows 2000. In order for Microsoft to make Windows 2000 upgradeable from Windows MyEnemy, Microsoft would have to modify Windows 2000. They could do this if they wanted to, but...

The second issue (and this is the killer) is that prior to Windows XP Microsoft had two operating system paths. They had a home user path and a business user path, and these two paths did not cross. Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows My Enemy are in the home user path. Windows NT 3.5, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows NT 5.0 (called Windows 2000 in the real world) are in the business user path.

There are major differences in the underpinnings of this source code. They are not derived from the same code base. Yes, some of the programs are compatible but many are not. Windows NT (all flavors) just won;t run certain games no matter what you do, because it was not designed to run them. Windows NT was the path for business users, running business applications.

Microsoft saw the light with Windows XP. More and more people take work home with them and want the same operating system at home as they have at work. Also (and businesses don't like to admit this), more and more people use their work computers for some gaming before work, after work, during lunch, and even during the day.

Also, it has become clear to Microsoft that it is cheaper to have one path to support, rather than two paths.

Old 12-03-04, 07:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Matt,

In addition to this discussion, feel free to join me in my love of the Steelers!

Chris

Old 12-03-04, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
-matt,

I'll add, that even though I'm not a computer pro, I have to say that rather than trying to use 2000, you would be far better off going to XP, even if it means paying for it.

I made the mistake of going from '98 to 2000 and had nothing but grief with hardware and drivers.

Since using XP it has been truely plug and play.
Mind you, I havn't downloaded sp2 yet.

Old 12-04-04, 12:20 PM
oh well...

...a guy can dream. At least I can get XP update for under $100 if things really start to go in the tank. Otherwise I'll probably use my tax refund money in the spring to get a new computer. It seems like there's plenty of good options for well under a grand.

In any case, thanks for the info. I'll keep my fingers crossed in the meantime.

-Matt

Old 12-05-04, 05:04 PM
tae
you could also look into running a dual boot computer, with both win me and also w2k. then you could boot into either operating system. you could transfer your documents and pics, etc. to w2k, and let m.e. fade away, if you can spare the hard drive room. your I.T. guy could tell you how to copy off what you need, or we could help you with it. you do have some options...was the m.e. install a full or upgrade? you could always try to do a reinstall of m.e. over itself to see if it can fix what ails it, you could do a parallel install of m.e., in which you basically do a full install, but instead of installing to the "windows" directory, you install it to something else, like "windows1". or try the dual boot method. let us know if any of these are an option? no matter which you choose, windows still needs to be fed,watered, and cleaned every so often. adware,spyware, etc, can really take it's toll.

Old 12-06-04, 09:41 AM
I think I'm going to...

...stick with what I've got for now. The computer came with ME installed, but we've moved a couple of times since, and I really don't have any idea of where the disk is to recover/re-load ME is (of if I even have it or got one to begin with).

I'm pretty vigilant about running Adaware SE every week or so, but I'm pretty sure I still have adware, etc infections that are exacerbating the problems, if not the root of them. I do what I can, but it seems as though I'm just treading water on that account. My browser still gets hijacked every once in awhile and spontaneously loads a random page, but at least it works again, unlike when Explorer decided to not work for a time, which is what prompted me to think of upgrading form ME.

I'm leary of a dual boot-system as I had one at work and it just never worked particularly well and eventually crapped out completely. Although I"ll keep it in mind if my problems get significantly worse, or if it looks like I'm not going to be able to swing a new computer in the spring. My wife works from home a lot of the time, so I'm not prone to doing major renovations of my computer incase it leads to long periods of down time/problems as it'd leave her in a lurch.

So thanks for the advice/info., until things get worse I'll stay the course and nurse it through the next few months.