USB went out?

Old 12-04-04, 08:41 AM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
USB went out?

So there I was, blasting these creepy, jumpy spider-things in a very dark pit in Doom 3...okay, they were kicking my butt & "very dark" could describe any location in any map in Doom 3, but the computer locked up. I could tell by the way the screen froze and the sound card kept playing the last bit of sound like a broken record. I cold booted, and then there was no keyboard or mouse. Cordless desktop, Logitech. However, it doesn't work with my older, corded USB keyboard (MS Internet Keyboard Pro) unless I plug in the PS/2 plug. I checked the BIOS to make sure the mobo still had the USB...um...stuff...enabled. Everything was good...the interface & the legacy support all enabled & everything, but I couldn't get the computer to detect any usb stuff, nor would Windows, even thought the USB controller & ports show up in Device Manager.

I'm in a bit of a hurry, but that's the basic problem. Anyone experience anything like this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had that same video card problem with Doom3.

Have you tried unplugging the USB, restarting the computer then plugging it back in or unplugging the USB, shutting down, the plugging it in, then restarting?

You might uninstall the USB in the device manager and reboot so that XP can install everything again.

Old 12-05-04, 05:11 PM
tae
i havent played doom 3 yet, but once in a while i would have that problem with quake 3. usually a reboot would solve the problem. sometimes i would need to do a couple good safemode defrags and then reinstall the game. it would get to "spaced out" and freeze during extreme online play. is it possible that the game changed your cordless drivers? try reinstalling them and see what happens.

Old 12-06-04, 06:38 AM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Ugh...I'm on dialup, had a thorough, nice & polite response all typed up, and lost it after clicking submit reply, and getting the time-out error. The modem hung up after it's period of inactivity limit. Had I realized what had happened 2-3 seconds earlier, I'd have had time to copy it to the clipboard. This reply will be terse.

1. I've had that gaming issue across multiple computers. I'm not sure if it's a really a cause or just a symptom, I mostly added that detail as a bit of humor/opening.

2. I don't think it's an operating system issue. The computer doesn't respond to keyboard input during POST.

3. BIOS says no USB devices attached, when the MS keyboard clearly is...it's cord has both plugs unlike the logitech, which has an adapter instead.

4. I've tried reseating & rebooting with both usb ports.

5. I'll try reloading the BIOS defaults. After that, perhaps I'll try closing that BIOS reset jumper, though I doubt that'll do anything different than doing a software reset of the defaults.

In any case, I'm calling Tyan Tech support today, since it's no longer the weekend.

Old 12-06-04, 08:17 PM
tae
so, what did they say? i know that asus had the problem with the microsoft keyboard, and released a patch. maybe tyan did too?