I Damaged My Hard Drive!!!

Old 12-09-04, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I Damaged My Hard Drive!!!

Well, here is the story. I had goten in a little trouble with a few viruses that my computer picked up and removed, or so I thought. Then I ghosted my partition from a ghost I made some time back. Then, I ghosted it again because of some other problem that I could not remember. I also had a dual boot for a while on my computer. Had win2000pro and WinXPPro. Than I ghosted some other time to remove the dual boot and revert back. Not realising that I was not removing the old partitions and formatting the hd, I believe I had 4 partitions on the hd all with non formats. They were all NTFS. Also, I was transfering files over my network and it crashed. Combining the virus thing and all these partitions, I think I inadvertedly destroid my drive. HD is only a year old. Here is what happened.

All the sudden my computer started freesing for no good reason. Then aftor a restart and get a message, about missing or corupt data. More spacificuly, I think it was called NTFSKernal or something like that. I had seen this happene before on someone elses computer. Basically, I seem to have lost or corupted my boot sector and or startup files. I suspect possible boot sector virus. Then I restart. non system disk please replace media. then I got in my computer aftor doing another restart this time. Then computer freeses again. Have to restart, now I get message. Disk IO error, please restart. So I do, and each time, I either get the Disk IO error or the non system disk message. So I go into the bios, and yes the bios does still recognise my drive as a Seagate 80gig HD. So, naturally I try to boot my computer off of win2000 cd to remove the partition or possible many partitions and format a new NTFS partition. Cannot do that because Disk IO error. So than I boot computer off of my Kill Disk low level format utility. It could not format, reason, HD is damaged it says.

Sorry for the long post. The reason I posted this even though knowing my HD is damaged and have to buy a new one, is cause I want to avoid this happenening again with my new drive. I wanted to speak to our computer pros in the forum to find out if anyone of the above actually killed my HD. I think at least one of them had to of, but mabie you guys have some insight. Oh, and incase you are wondering. No, I did not recently change any hardware in my computer. Intel, P4 2GHZ 1GIG RAM 80GIG HD Win2000Pro. In order to get back online, I had to install a old 20GIG HD untill I buy a new HD.

Old 12-09-04, 07:08 PM
C
Here is a link to Drive Fitness Test.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

This will determine that your drive meets factory specifications, or not. If it fails, the warranty should replace the drive through the manufacturer. Generally, a hard drive is warranted for 4 years. The date of expiration of the warranty will be stamped on the hard drive itself.

It is unusual for programs to damage a disk, but anything is possible. Most likely, you have trashed the drive, but not damaged it. I would recommend formatting the drive with a Windows 98 boot disk or your XP pro disk. Then install as you like.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-04, 05:43 AM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
I once had Tyan Tiger MP...alot of horror stories start out that way...

In all seriousness, I still have this model; I RMA'd it awhile back due to undiagnosable stability problems...and they dare call it a server board...Anyway, after receiving a replacement board, I started getting all sorts of errors again, nothing seemed to help. These errors were similar to the ones you've described, and perhaps more varied: they included disk drive errors in which the disks were not detected, or they would begin clicking & the computer would lock up...generally a bad sign. However, after trying it out on the fifth different hdd with the same results, I refused to believe it could be their fault. (I use these hdd's for video encoding/compression, so they get *alot* of activity, at least ~10 hrs/day heavy use, so I thought they might just be worn.) Back on track, I was at my wit's end, I set the FSB from 266 to 200, and took out 1 of the cpu's. It is now running like a severely crippled champ...lol...It's solid as a rock when it has only 1 cpu in and running at a reduced clock rate. The point, however, is that the hdd's are just fine...all 5 of them.

I agree with chfite...I think you may have corrupted every partition on the drive into an unusable state, but it's probably still intact...lol...in the physical way.

Old 12-10-04, 05:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aegis,

I'm sorry you've had trouble wih Tyan boards. I've found them to be outstanding, and they're all I ever use anymore.

Chris

Old 12-10-04, 06:08 AM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Well, it's just the Tiger MP...I'm currently running a Thunder K8W, and it's a love affair. Other than my processor speed (I couldn't afford 2 Opteron 250's, so I went with 242's) and this recent USB issue, I absolutely love this board.

Old 12-19-04, 06:54 PM
In case anyone would like to know, I was not able to repair my hard drive. So, my brother bought me a Western Digital 200GIG hard drive for Christmas. Much better hard drive to begin with and a heck of alot of storage space. Thanks Aegis for sharing that story. It tought me something about double CPU boards which I have never used or owned one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: