Windows upgrade question

Old 12-15-04, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows upgrade question

I've had some intermittant problems with my modem for some time now. Recently I was completely unable to dial up; someone suggested that I uninstall and reinstall my drivers to see if that would rectify the problem.

The uninstall went fine, but when I went to reinstall them, my Windows 98 disk wouldn't work. I don't know if it's the wrong disk (possible, as I bought the computer second hand at an auction) or if it's just become corrupted somehow; but at any rate I'm now unable to dial up on my "good" computer at all, and am stuck surfing using a salvaged 166 Pentium with a 33.6 modem.

So I've decided to upgrade to XP (which I wanted to do anyhow), but my question is this: With the communication drivers having been removed from my computer, can I still use the "Upgrade" version? Or does this mean I have to shell out the big bucks for the whole deal?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-04, 05:46 PM
Windows 98 qualifies for upgrading to Windows XP. However, if you have a used computer that originally came with Windows 98 it is quite possible that the computer hardware won;t support Windows XP, or that if it does run it will run extremely slowly. Before you spend any money on a new OS, make sure that the new OS will run properly on the hardware you have.

If you do go ahead and decide to upgrade the OS on this system to something else, I suggest very strongly that you completely erase the hard drive, reformat it and install the new OS clean.

One final note. If you have hardware issues, you need to address the hardware issues. If hardware is broken under Windows 98, it is broken under any OS. Note that driver issues are software issues, not hardware issues.

Old 12-15-04, 05:59 PM
tae
do you need the windows 98 disk, or a disk with modem drivers for windows 98? If you just need the modem drivers, you can usually find them on the internet, either at the manufacturers web site, or some other site that specializes in drivers.
if you do upgrade, you will also need to know all about your hardware, so that you can download the xp drivers for them, if there are any. Of course, you should do this first, before upgrading. If you are not sure what hardware you have, i would recommend belarc advisor (it's a free program) which will tell you all about your computer, including hardware.

Old 12-15-04, 09:18 PM
WinXP requires a PII or AMD equivalent running at 300MHZ running 256MB RAM. If you install WinXP on a Machine running at 166MHZ, it would most likely crash everytime you startup the OS. Most likely you don't even have 128MB RAM in your machine. More likely you have 32 or 64MB.

If you want WinXP, you need a new computer. You can build yourself a computer for under 400 dollars, and you can buy a computer brand new from Dell for probably around 400.

Old 12-15-04, 10:07 PM
tae
terminator:
the p166 is the "backup" computer, not the one with the problem.

Old 12-21-04, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by tae
do you need the windows 98 disk, or a disk with modem drivers for windows 98? If you just need the modem drivers, you can usually find them on the internet, either at the manufacturers web site, or some other site that specializes in drivers.
Sorry, bad semantics. I lost the communication files from Windows setup, not the modem drivers. What I wanted to know is if the XP upgrade will have all these files, or if I would have to install the entire OS from scratch.

Ultimately I'm trying to determine if it would be more cost effective to fix the computer or replace it. Windows upgrade + (probably) a new modem + RAM upgrade (currently 128 MB; need 256 according to terminator) are justifiable fixes; full XP set probably pushes it over the limit.

BTW, everything except RAM is more than adequate for XP.

Old 12-21-04, 06:25 PM
A fresh installation of XP upgrade will provide all that you should need for your computer to run Windows, provided all the hardware is supported.

Hope this helps.