P 4vs Celeron

Old 12-16-04, 04:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
P 4vs Celeron

I am looking at a new computer to replace my old P2 350mz(quit laughing, What is the diff. between the 2 processors to a non computer geek like me?
It will be mostly used for net,music,photos etc. no real extreem gaming.

Old 12-16-04, 05:26 PM
R
A Celeron is a Kia and a Pentium is a Mercedes.

Don't buy a Celeron, IMO

No offense menat to anyone with Kias or Celerons. The Celeron is just not a decent processor, IMO.

Last edited by WorldBuilder; 12-16-04 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary antagonisitc text
Old 12-16-04, 06:14 PM
I agree. A Pentium grade CPU is better than Celleron.

Old 12-16-04, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A P4 will speed up your web surfing more than a celeron, and same goes for editing pics, etc. Spend the extra money, it's not that much.

Chris

Old 12-16-04, 07:02 PM
D
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I beg to differ with every reply. A Celeron is a good bang for the buck CPU. I will especially disagree with the statement "A P4 will speed up your web surfing more than a celeron". Web surfing is far from CPU/resource intensive, and a P4 is no better at it than a current Celeron. For what the poster is using it for, a P4 is overkill and not necessary, the Celeron is a perfect choice. Even if you were going to do high end gaming, the Celeron will do it if backed up with a quality graphics card and ample RAM (just ask me, I'll tell ya what my gaming setup was for over a year). Of course the P4 is better than the Celeron, that's why it's more expensive, but it is also not necessary for many PC users. Would you buy a Mercedes just to trek back and forth to work in a 35MPH speed limit zone when the Kia will accomplish the same thing for a much cheaper price?

Old 12-16-04, 07:38 PM
tae
Here are the most important similarities and differences between the Pentium 4 and the Celeron chips coming out today:

* Core - The Celeron chip is based on a Pentium 4 core.

* Cache - Celeron chips have less cache memory than Pentium 4 chips do. A Celeron might have 128 kilobytes of L2 cache, while a Pentium 4 can have four times that. The amount of L2 cache memory can have a big effect on performance.

* Clock speed - Intel manufactures the Pentium 4 chips to run at a higher clock speed than Celeron chips. The fastest Pentium 4 might be 60 percent faster than the fastest Celeron.

* Bus speed - There are differences in the maximum bus speeds that the processors allow. Pentium 4s tend to be about 30 percent faster than Celerons.

When you sort all this out and compare the two chips side by side, it turns out that a Celeron and a Pentium 4 chip running at the same speed are different beasts. The smaller L2 cache size and slower bus speeds can mean serious performance differences depending on what you want to do with your computer. If all you do is check e-mail and browse the Web, the Celeron is fine, and the price difference can save you a lot of money. If you want the fastest machine you can buy,not the fastest there is, but the fastest you can buy, then you need to go with the Pentium 4 to get the highest clock speeds and the fastest system bus. dont forget to look at the AMD offerings.

Old 12-16-04, 09:26 PM
A
Originally Posted by Davejb
I beg to differ with every reply. A Celeron is a good bang for the buck CPU. I will especially disagree with the statement "A P4 will speed up your web surfing more than a celeron". Web surfing is far from CPU/resource intensive, and a P4 is no better at it than a current Celeron. For what the poster is using it for, a P4 is overkill and not necessary, the Celeron is a perfect choice. Even if you were going to do high end gaming, the Celeron will do it if backed up with a quality graphics card and ample RAM (just ask me, I'll tell ya what my gaming setup was for over a year). Of course the P4 is better than the Celeron, that's why it's more expensive, but it is also not necessary for many PC users. Would you buy a Mercedes just to trek back and forth to work in a 35MPH speed limit zone when the Kia will accomplish the same thing for a much cheaper price?
You had me convinced at everything until you said "high-end" gaming. Most newer 3d games are more likely to be CPU limited, due to the advanced physics engines in games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 (game physics are CPU dependent). If you're serious about gaming (yes, an oxymoron, I know ) then a P4 is essential, IMO.

A Celeron is certainly adequate for what he plans to do, I think. Of course, it wouldn't be my first choice, personally. If you're looking for "bang-for-the-buck", then an Athlon XP is still the way to go.

Old 12-16-04, 09:33 PM
AMD's are on a different scale than Intel. But the truth of the matter is that a AMD Athlon XP 1.7GHZ CPU running at stock speed will out perform a Intel P4 2GHZ. A AMD Athlon XP 2.2GHZ will outperform a Intel 3GHZ especially if it is overclocked. This is why us gamers like to build AMD machines instead of intel. For the same price as intel but better. And now with the Athlon 64 technology, a Athlon 64 4000+ will outperform any intel CPU out in the market, especially overclocked. Just remember, overclocking will heat the cpu more, so make sure you have really good cooling or you will fry you CPU!.

Old 12-16-04, 09:45 PM
A
I have been an AMD convert ever since the K6-2 300. I left Intel, and never looked back.

There's nothing more satisfying than buying a $70 CPU, cranking up the multiplier and front side bus, and making it run faster than a $200 CPU .

Old 12-17-04, 04:39 AM
D
A P4 is better for gaming than a Celeron, but a Celeron wil do it. Up until recently my gaming machine consisted of a Celeron 1.7, 1GB RAM, and TI4200 graphics.It played GTA Vice City and other games of that era with no problem at all. Granted I had to keep the resolution at 800X600, but it played smoothly. Also the New Celeron D's have a Higher FSB than the first incarnation and 256k cache, making them an even better option. What am I gaming with now? A P4 Prescott 2.8, there's no denying it's better suited to the task. I just hate to see people bashing the Celeron when it's a perfectly good general use CPU.

Old 12-17-04, 01:57 PM
R
Sorry to disagree with you. The Celeron processor is a piece of junk and nobody who knows what they are talking about would buy one.

Old 12-17-04, 06:47 PM
D
Well, you are apparently wrong on this one, I know exactly what I'm talking about and I would buy one. Opinion is a fine thing, but don't state yours like it is a fact, because it's not.

Old 12-17-04, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Guys, do I really have to close this thread? Let's calm down. Bob, you're stating OPINION, not FACT.

We all understand your opinion. Let's leave it at that.

Calm down, everyone.

Chris

Old 12-18-04, 05:20 PM
C
Originally Posted by racefan
I am looking at a new computer to replace my old P2 350mz(quit laughing, What is the diff. between the 2 processors to a non computer geek like me?
It will be mostly used for net,music,photos etc. no real extreem gaming.

I've been putting systems on end users desks for the last four years. When I started, people loved me for bringing them a PII-350. Times change...I've put MANY Celerons on desks, and MANY P4's on desks. I don't recall any of the Celeron users complaining. Of course, like you, most of them were being upgraded from that PII I had given them two years before. :lol:

For Internet, Celeron vs. P4 is a wash. The limitation is your connection speed, not your processor.

For Music...Depends on what you are doing. If you are working with music editing software a lot, the P4 probably would be nicer. Same goes for photos. If you are doing intense photo editing, the P4 would be good. If these are just light/occasional tasks for you, the Celeron should be fine.

BTW: If you buy a Celeron, chances are you can upgrade later to a P4 if you decide you want the speed. Be sure to inquire with the tech support (not the sales guys) as to what the machine is upgradeable to.

As others have stated, the AMD Athlon XP's can often be acquired for Celeron prices, or at least below P4 prices. They will DEFINATELY outperform Celerons, and likely beat P4 for many tasks. So be sure to give them a fair look too.

I suppose I am biased towards AMD's. My 286 was an AMD (I *think*...it's been a while), my 486 was an AMD, my first PI was an AMD, and my current machine is an AMD Athlon XP. I have had an Intel PI, and an Intel Celeron 500. I like them because of the price, and, hey, I've always liked rooting for the underdog!

Old 01-04-05, 11:07 AM
candienjames
Visiting Guest
Cache

Lets face it this is a p***ing match. Lets calm down and talk the facts, what is the real difference. The only difference is L2 cache, in fact I heard that celerons are p4 chips that didn't make it through QC at higher speeds. L2 cache is like your kitchen counter it stores the ingredients currently being used. But if you need butter than you have to go to the fridge which takes time. However, if the recipe only needs oregano and garlic, they are right there in your L2 cache. When you play card games that have the simple and few graphics preloaded so essentially it doesnt matter. But if you play Doom or something than the environment is changing and has to load alot of different things so a pentium is better. The internet is essentially text so it really doesnt matter when surfing the internet. James

Last edited by tae; 01-04-05 at 12:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: