New CD Burner Software Conflict

Old 12-18-04, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
New CD Burner Software Conflict

Recently installed a new BUSlink CD burner from Dell that came with Nero burner software. I have Pentium II, WIN XP Home, and more than the minimum whatever for the Nero software to work.
However, the Nero software was causing my computer to spontaneously re-boot intermittently.
After several lengthy calls to Dell Tech Support, and one to BUSlink (who told me that Nero charges for Tech Support), I finally just uninstalled the Nero software (no more re-boot problem).
I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, and Dell TS had me doing a bunch of stuff that I have no clue about, but nothing has worked. The CD player hardware works just fine.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mike

Old 12-18-04, 04:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Does your PC just reboot while you are actually using NERO, or just anytime regardless of whether NERO is running or not?

If it's happening just while using NERO, here's a hunch...

If I am understanding you correctly, this is a USB CD-Burner, correct? If so, are you connecting it to a USB 2.0 port, or just one of the original built in USB ports of your PC? You said it was a Pentium II. If that is the case it just has USB 1.1, which is WAY too slow for CD Burning (I would *hope* Dell already told you that).

Your new CD Burner, if it is USB, will need a USB 2.0 port to work properly. Many USB 2.0 devices say they will work at USB 1.1, but reality is, well, they may work, but they won't work well.

I can see this causing NERO to crash a machine when trying to burn, since it would be VERY slow. If you are on a USB 1.1 port, try telling NERO to burn at 4x. I believe that's the best you'll get out of USB 1.1.

If that works without crashing, then go invest in a USB 2.0 card.

Old 12-18-04, 05:58 PM
It reboots only when the Nero software is on and connected, but not when it is disconnected. Now that I have the Nero Express software uninstalled, the external "USB Hi-Speed CD-RW Drive" unit just by itself is not causing it to reboot, and plays CDs fine.
(I've not tried to use the CD burner, just the CD player.)
No, Dell didn't tell me that I needed to upgrade to USB 2.0, and yes, I have 1.1. The BUSlink booklet that comes with it does say that it is "Backward compatible with USB 1.1. Will run ar Full Speed Mode up to 12Mbits/sec when connected to USB 1.1 port."
If I want to use the CD burner software, it look like I'll have to upgrade to USB 2.0. That must be the problem. Being computer illiterate, I have no clue. LOL
Thank you for your help.
Mike

Old 12-18-04, 06:24 PM
I had similiar problems many months ago. I finally uninstalled NERO and
installed another Burner software. Everything worked fine after that.

There are folks here that can advise what works best for them,then you can decide what to install.

Old 12-18-04, 07:24 PM
C
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen
No, Dell didn't tell me that I needed to upgrade to USB 2.0, and yes, I have 1.1. The BUSlink booklet that comes with it does say that it is "Backward compatible with USB 1.1. Will run ar Full Speed Mode up to 12Mbits/sec when connected to USB 1.1 port."
If I want to use the CD burner software, it look like I'll have to upgrade to USB 2.0. That must be the problem. Being computer illiterate, I have no clue. LOL
Thank you for your help.
Mike
Even if it doesn't fix the current problem using NERO (I suspect it will), the USB 2.0 ports will certainly allow the drive to run faster. They seem to contradict themselves when they say "Will run at Full Speed Mode up to 12Mbits/sec when connected to USB 1.1 port." Is it Full Speed, or is it 12Mbits/sec?

I'd try that upgrade before trying other software. Even if the problem did turn out to be NERO, you'll still be limited to SLOW burning with the USB 1.1 ports.

I've never had any trouble with the NERO software that came with my current burner, but it is an internal drive, so it's not an apples to apples comparison. I've also used Adaptec/Roxio Easy CD Creator with good success (I do like it's interface better). NERO is all but the standard bundled OEM software for a HUGE variety of brands/drives, so I'd be surprised if the software itself was the problem (other than its failure to throttle itself down to a slow enough speed).

It would be an interesting test to reinstall NERO, and try burning with the max speed set to 4x ( I *believe* that's the max speed for USB 1.1 CD Writing). If that works, we'd all but confirm that the problem is related to the USB 1.1 speed limitations. Burning at 4x is painful...Though a few years ago it was FAST! lol

Old 12-18-04, 08:06 PM
tae
USB 1.1 limits drive speed to 4x 4x 6x

Old 12-19-04, 05:13 AM
O.K.
I'm admittedly dumber than two stumps when it comes to computers.
Are the USB cords that I have O.K. to use with USB 2.0, or will I have to get new USB cords, too?
Mike

Old 12-19-04, 10:55 AM
C
O.K.
I'm admittedly dumber than two stumps when it comes to computers.
Are the USB cords that I have O.K. to use with USB 2.0, or will I have to get new USB cords, too?
Mike

Mike, I believe the cables need to be rated for USB 2.0 (correct me if I'm wrong tae). If your CD Writer came with a cable, it would be fine. Otherwise, you will want to get a cable rated for USB 2.0.

Don't fall for the sales gimmic of gold plated connectors on those ultra-expensive $20+ cables at the big stores. You should be able to get a decent cable for $5-$10.

Old 12-19-04, 11:11 AM
I'm just using the old USB 1.1 cable that I had connected for my scanner for the external CD burner. Suppose THAT could be the problem, although it's connected to a 1.1 port?
I'll switch that out to see.
Mike

Old 12-19-04, 01:16 PM
C
I'm just using the old USB 1.1 cable that I had connected for my scanner for the external CD burner. Suppose THAT could be the problem, although it's connected to a 1.1 port?
I'll switch that out to see.
Mike

Since it's just connecting to a USB 1.1 port anyway, it probably doesn't matter. It definitely should be replaced when you upgrade with a USB 2.0 adapter.

Old 12-19-04, 06:59 PM
tae
A certified usb 1.1 cable should work just fine for usb 2.0(hi speed usb) but, the people who know,(whoever they are) say that only about 3 of 11 usb 1.1 cables would pass the certification. If feasable, get a new certified hi speed usb (2.0) cable, to ensure problem free operation.

everything you wanted to know about usb:http://www.everythingusb.com/

Old 12-19-04, 07:45 PM
Initially Nero 6 was chock full of bugs. It was a disappointment from a company that had previously been writing good software. As I understand it, Nero 6 has been patched & works now. I recently installed it w/o any obvious probs. When I checked for updates, it didn't need any so I presume that I have the patched version.

I've also read good reviews of the Roxio suite, but haven't actually run it. And there are free CD burning softwares around. You can search the Cnet downloads.

Old 12-20-04, 10:36 AM
D
nero

I have used Nero for 4 years and they definatley screwed up tha latest version. Not exactly a productivity improvment.
If you are going to use Nero, make sure you do the Drive tests for Data, Music, etc.

I use Roxio at work and have no issues with it at all, it works like a champ every time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: