comp boot and crash

Old 12-21-04, 08:34 AM
qap
Visiting Guest
comp boot and crash

My computer fails to boot and my monitor light would turn orange. I had to turn the computer on and off many times to finally to be able to see anything booting up (monitor light would turn green). The computer would then crash randomly everywhere or would freeze and fail to boot even before Windows start . And, if Im able to get to desktop, then it would later crash eventually. Any way to fix this? I have never changed or upgraded any hardware. thanks

Last edited by qap; 12-21-04 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-21-04, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 118 Posts
You didn't say how old your hardware is, but a dead or dieing cmos battery is a possibility. If you're fairly handy that's a diy job. Disconnect power, open up the case and look for the battery. It's usually a button battery about the size of a quarter somewhere on the motherboard. Should pop right out or might have a retainer clip of some sort. Once you get it out check the number on it and pick up a replacement from anyplace that has electronics like Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. Reinstall and fire it up.

Old 12-21-04, 09:18 AM
qap
Visiting Guest
I bought the comp in 99 (win98). I dont think its the battery but Ill try it anyway. Most of the times when I start up the computer, I wont hear the floppy drive and cd drive booting noises. And if that happens, I wont be able to see anyting on the monitor (light orange) and everything would freeze. After restarting the computer many times will I be able to hear those drives noises and the monitor light would turn green.

Old 12-21-04, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are SO MANY things it could possibly be, qap. It is most definitely a hardware problem; RAM, HDD, motherboard, processor, etc, and trying to narrow it down in a forum, I admit, will be almost impossible, and amazingly time-consuming. My best advice is to not bother and take it to a local PC repair shop for a diagnosis. They'll be able to tell you within a few hours what's wrong, and that won't cost much.

I doubt it's the CMOS battery, but as TG said, it IS possible. I suspect the motherboard.

I wish I had better news for you. My apologies.

Chris

Old 12-21-04, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 118 Posts
I think the cmos battery being on the way out is as likely as any of the other causes. Plus it is not only cheap, but diy-able. My system crapped a cmos battery last year and started doing wacky things; and that battery would have been half the age of qap's. Granted, those batteries are capable of living much longer, but it's as likely as bad memory for instance. Another item that 'Builder didn't mention was a power supply going bad. Unfortunately not an easy item to troubleshoot.

Old 12-21-04, 05:37 PM
tae
probable causes would be hard drive going out,motherboard, or power supply.

easiest way to find out would be as worldbuilder said, take it to a computer shop , unless you have access to spare parts to swap out.

Old 12-22-04, 05:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Another item that 'Builder didn't mention was a power supply going bad. Unfortunately not an easy item to troubleshoot.
Thus my "etc..." I could list every part, but that's a waste of typing.

I would really take it to a shop with those symptoms. $50 bucks should get you a quick, accurate diagnosis and is worth it.

Chris

Old 12-22-04, 07:35 AM
A
Power supply problems are not that difficult to troubleshoot. You can start by going into your bios and checking the rail voltages (i.e. check that 12 V, 5V, etc. measurements are OK. There are also many free motherboard monitoring programs that can do this.

I would suspect the hard drive failing, but, as has been said already, this is not exactly an easy problem to assess without having the computer in front of you.

There are tons of free, highly-reliable diagnostics available if you just know where to look. I would start with Hitachi's (formerly IBM's) Drive Fitness Test to test (obviously) your hard drive. You can try Memetest86, which is a fantastic program for diagnosing bad memory (computer memory, that is ).

Both of these programs are run from a floppy at bootup (bypasses Windows entirely). There are directions at each site on how to run the programs.

Just my opinion, but I would start with these free solutions before dropping 50 bones on someone who's just going to run the same stuff anyway.

Old 12-22-04, 12:18 PM
C
Definately sounds like a hardware problem.

I would start by opening the box, and reseating the memory, expansion cards, power supply to motherboard connections, ribbon cables from motherboard to hard drive/floppy/cdroms, etc. If its not too difficult, reseat the CPU. You probably have a processor in a slot rather than a socket, if the PC was new in 1999. These are a pain, but not too difficult, and less chance of damaging than a socketted processor...Just be carefull and don't force things.

Old 12-22-04, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a non DIY job. Mabie you should get it diagnosed by a certified technician?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: