Wiping clean and installing 98 on a laptop?

Old 12-28-04, 08:32 PM
No luck...tried what I could...No success...

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-04, 05:47 AM
Matt, if worse comes to worst, I think that old laptop might make a fine doorstop,

Old 12-29-04, 07:43 AM
Gee, thanks...no wonder they call you "air biscuit"...prob "sour dough". huh???

Anyhow, I'm not getting the new hardware indicator when I boot up now, but "other devices--PCI Communication Device" is now yellow again...

Matt

Old 12-30-04, 05:04 PM
FWIW, you can copy the entire win98 install directory to your "format c: /s" hard drive and install it from there. if you do so, you will never again be asked to 'insert your windows 98 cd'..

Old 12-30-04, 06:12 PM
Please elaborate...not being asked to insert any media, just can't dial-up....the modem cannot be found...or detected...Have evil yellow, still, associated w/"PCI Communication Device"...

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Old 12-30-04, 07:15 PM
Please try this:

go to this website. You'll need your model # which this link will help you find:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...prod_info.html

Once you know the model #, you can do here and find/download all the device drivers you'll need:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

I've had to do this to help a friend with a used computer he'd bought.

Hope this helped! Good Luck!

Last edited by Desy2820; 12-30-04 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Correct bad info
Old 12-31-04, 10:18 PM
tae
well, here we are on the third page.i'm about out of ideas. i will say, if it were me, i would first try uninstalling everything about the modem, then rebooting, and when windows asks for drivers, select from the list, and choose the generic hayes modem(or something like that). if that doesnt work, then i would take the modem out,after uninstalling everything, reboot a couple times, then reinstalling it, and using the modem drivers. if that doesnt work, buy a new modem, as this is just to much work for a 14.4 modem. the problem is either the drivers are wrong, the modem doesnt work, or it being on com 5 is causing problems, or some combo of above. lol let us know what happens! really to bad we can't get this worked out.

Old 01-01-05, 08:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This has gotten so long that I, too am out of ideas. I've been watching the thread and everything seemed well in hand, but for whatever reason, nothing is working.

At this point, I think you need to consider the time and effort. My advice would be to back up everything important, WIPE the machine completely (format unconditionally and fdisk), and start over from scratch.

Chris

Old 01-01-05, 09:38 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for sticking around this long....really don't know what else to do, either...Should there be an access panel on the bottom of the HP to get to the modem?...Or am I gonna have to take it apart?...What will the modem look like?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-01-05, 09:56 AM
BTW, I got it onto COM1...Using HP's advice to troubleshoot the modem...Under modem properties, diagnostics..."The Modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set."

How do I do that??

Modems can be turned on or off?....Remember, the guy who sold it to me used LAN connection to get online...

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by Slaphppy7; 01-01-05 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-01-05, 09:13 PM
tae
an external modem can be turned off.