New 17" LCD not working on Mandrake

Old 12-25-04, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New 17" LCD not working on Mandrake

My son gave me a brand new 17" Flat LCD Monitor for Christmas. I really love it. But for some reason it does not work with Mandrake 9.1. After boot up there is a red and white popup which says "Video not supported".
Can anyone tell me why this is so and how can I fix it???
Thanks

Old 12-26-04, 07:21 AM
C
Rerun the 9.1 installer and select upgrade. This will rebuild the rpm packages to the new ones on the CD. I know that there are no new ones on the CD, but this is one easy way to do this. Part of the setup process will go through the process of detecting the monitor and installing the right drivers for X your monitor.

You can run XF86Config setup separately from the command line, but rerunning the installer is a simpler, cleaner process, IMO.

Do you have all the normal, bugfix, and security updates installed from the update servers? This will help ensure that all your rpms are current.

I still run 9.1 on three machines. Not fancy, but good stuff.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chfite; 12-26-04 at 04:18 PM. Reason: file name correction
Old 12-26-04, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm surprised you're having trouble. I don't know anything about monitors and video stuff on linux boxes, as I only use them as testers and servers running CLI. I always have OLD video cards and old monitors, so I can't really help.

However, chfite's advice sounds possible, although I'm wondering why rebuilding the rpm's would matter.

Chris

Old 12-26-04, 04:17 PM
C
Actually, it does not rebuild the rpms. It rebuilds the rpm package list, as it upgrades from the CD. I does not do anything to a properly installed system. That is just the message that will appear on the screen. I wanted to pass that on, as it seemed confusing to me the first time that I saw it. It is a less error-prone method of getting the monitor to work right. Running XF86Config from the command line can leave you with a dead monitor if you make the wrong choices in the set up and have not saved the original XF86Config-4 file.

Old 12-27-04, 09:59 AM
17" LCD Monitor

Originally Posted by chfite
Rerun the 9.1 installer and select upgrade. This will rebuild the rpm packages to the new ones on the CD. I know that there are no new ones on the CD, but this is one easy way to do this. Part of the setup process will go through the process of detecting the monitor and installing the right drivers for X your monitor.

You can run XF86Config setup separately from the command line, but rerunning the installer is a simpler, cleaner process, IMO.

Do you have all the normal, bugfix, and security updates installed from the update servers? This will help ensure that all your rpms are current.

I still run 9.1 on three machines. Not fancy, but good stuff.

Hope this helps.
You were right Chris. I did what you said and now Mandrake Linux runs on the new Monitor. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-28-04, 09:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thread renamed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: