Network LAN Notebook setup

Old 12-27-04, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Network LAN Notebook setup

Hi,
I have recently set up a LAN (somehow!) on 2 home computers, using Linksys -Wireless-G 802.11G Broadband Router, + a USB Network Adapter network for my upstairs computer & it works fine. I also have an (older) Compaq laptop (LTE 5300, W98) & saw on sale today a Wireless Lan Cardbus PC Card for $12.99 & just had to buy it! It is compatible, fits in the slot, but I don't have a CD Drive on laptop- do have floppy, I somehow assumed it installed in the main PC unit & got powered via the main router along with the Card in the laptop.
Is there anyway I can install somehow possibly downloading to floppy or any other way? I'm very confused--any help appreciated!

Old 12-27-04, 06:03 AM
A
What company makes the PC Card? What OS are you using? Is your computer recognizing the PC card when you insert it and installing the required drivers automatically?

You could go to the makers' website on your working connection and download the required driver, then transfer it to your notebook via floppy.

Old 12-27-04, 11:30 PM
re: Lan Notebook setup

The card is by AirLink--it's a 802.11g Wireless Lan CardBus adapter. My main computer is Windows XP (which also has the wireless broadband router on it) I have downloaded the drivers to that computer via the CD which came with it, then put the card in the laptop..it doesn't recognize it, I'm just not sure if the CD was supposed to be installed along with the Card to the laptop or to the other computer. I guess if it is supposed to go on that main computer, I need to just synchronize all the settings, disable firewalls, etc. pretty much a pain in the rear! Thanks..

Old 12-28-04, 05:03 AM
D
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
The PCMCIA slots on the laptop may be your problem. According to what I found in a brief search it has 16 bit slots, the Airlink card requires a 32 bit slot, no way it's going to work. Best bet is to try and find a 16 bit wireless card, not even sure they're made but it's possible. If the laptop has USB, you may want to try a USB wireless NIC instead.

Old 12-30-04, 02:11 PM
PMCIA slots

Thanks so much--that makes sense..and saves me so much time trying to figure it out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: