Computer was hot, now dead

Old 12-28-04, 07:30 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Computer was hot, now dead

Hi
I have a computer that ran ok and i check it was running at 174 degree.
i have a intel celeron 1.3 mhz cpu with fan on it
I shut it down to cool it off no when i try to reboot it nothing works
i see my power liigth is on and the hard drive light come on but nothing. both stay on
the monitor say no signal
i get no beep when it starts or startup info on my monitor screen.
I cant hit the delete key to access the bios either.
the power pack is working and i also check the cpu fan works also
but the rest nothing.
could my cpu processor be cook????

thanks

pgtek

Old 12-28-04, 07:51 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
174 degrees is definitely enough to cook a processor.

It seems that you still have power, so you may need to reset your CMOS. If you have a manual for the motherboard, it should tell you how to do this for your board. It usually involves moving a jumper.

If you don't have a manual, you can also try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes, if it isn't soldered to the board. This is a little disc style battery on your motherboard. Make sure you also disconnect the power supply before doing this.

While you have the case open, you may want to take a can of compressed air and blow out as much dust and crud as you can. Give particular attention to the fans and CPU heatsink.

If you manage to get things started again, check to make sure your processor fan is running. If it isn't, shut it down immediately. If it is, you may have just knocked the processor heatsink out of alignment, and it may need to be reseated.

Edit: Oops. You already stated your CPU fan was working, so disregard that. You should still get all the dust out, though, if necessary.

Old 12-28-04, 07:58 AM
Thanks air biscuit.
will shop for new processor i guess. will post update when i find new processor.
I did blow it clean and have a second case fan to cool it of put came unplug
will put new on and maybe leave one side of case open since the case is in a built in cabinet and not to much clearance.

thanks a bunch

pgtek

Old 12-28-04, 09:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thread renamed

Old 12-28-04, 09:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Amazing that a Celeron got that hot...

I would also guess that it got cooked. That's too high. Start there, for sure. Hopefully, IF it is the proc, it's all that got damaged.

Chris

Old 12-28-04, 11:16 AM
A
I would be wary of putting a new processor in that motherboard. In a case like yours, I would assume that the motherboard is possibly damaged. A new processor may not run at all, or, worst case, could also get cooked.

Believe it or not, motherboards can issue POST beeps without a processor or memory installed at all. If you still want to try to salvage this motherboard, I would still try resetting the CMOS and see what happens when you apply power to it (without the processor, memory, or cards installed).

Your best bet would be to buy a new motherboard and processor, then make sure to run a memory diagnostic (like memtest86) to make sure your memory sticks are still OK.

My 2 cents.

Old 12-28-04, 11:26 AM
A
Just a couple of more recommendations:

You may want to consider airing out your case a little bit. It's possible that there's not enought air getting in, so you may consider cutting some vent slots in the front of the case if it is at all possible. Your computer cannot cool very efficiently if it is starved for air. I have seen many case designs that do not use very large intake vents - a big design flaw, IMO. You could also use a more powerful "out" fan.

You may also want to consider getting a little better heatsink for your CPU. Make sure to get an all copper unit, as these will dissapate heat much more efficiently than aluminum. If you're worried about clearance, you can shop for a 1U heatsink, which are low profile units meant for rackmount servers.

My (additional) 2 cents.

Old 12-29-04, 05:08 AM
C
Don't forget the termal transfer compound

You need to put some thermal "gunk" between the heatsink and processor. Artic Silver is one name, but there are others. Be SURE to FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS for this stuff and only use as much as the instructions tell you to use. Too much is bad news....

Just my $0.03 (inflation!)

Old 12-29-04, 05:12 AM
hi
thanks guys.
I will try to reset the cmos and see if it beep. Should i remove all the cable that connect the floppy, hd drives, the video card, modem, and network card also

thanks for your expertise

cheers
pgtek

Old 12-29-04, 05:20 AM
A
You could leave your vid card connected to see if you get a POST screen on your monitor.

Old 12-29-04, 05:29 AM
thanks air
will do tonite and see what happens, i hope lol lol

cheers

pg

Old 12-29-04, 03:12 PM
no luck

hi
well i umplug everything except the video card and nothing.
no beep
looks like motherboard is done
what do you guys think

pgtek

Last edited by pgtek; 12-29-04 at 04:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: