Pop up ads

Old 12-28-04, 10:09 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pop up ads

I have Ad-Aware and E Trust EZ Antivirus and I still get lots of pop up ads ranginig from free trips and virus protection >>>>>>>>> free computer scans and dating services.

Is there anything else I can do? A regular annoying address is http://xlimeoptimizer.com etc. They just take over until their window completely opens and causes delays on what I am trying to do.

Help!

Old 12-28-04, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
check this url for help
http://www.pchell.com/

cheers
pgtek

Old 12-28-04, 12:56 PM
C
To help with controlling popups, you can install the Google toolbar

http://toolbar.google.com

or use another browser, such as: Firefox. These two items have settings to stop popups, while enabling control to allow them from some sites as desired.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-04, 03:15 PM
T
Much better

I upgraded Ad-Aware to the SE version and spent some time with my firewall program control. It's amazing to be able to open a window and not have garbage ad after garbage ad clogging up and slowing down my computer. I will also pursue your suggestions guys. When anything is working the way it is supposed to it's a wonderful world...

Thx again,
Tom

Old 12-28-04, 07:26 PM
tae
you didnt mention what operating system you were using. you may have the messenger service turned on, which is bad.

Old 12-29-04, 06:03 AM
T
Windows XP

I have a Dell unit with Windows XP Home Edition. I don't download a lot of programs from out there but do have yahoo messenger-which I keep off 90% of the time.

I did see this morning a few of the old familiar pop ups coming back but not like before. If I have their address can't I stop them from invading my freedom of choice?

Tom

Old 12-29-04, 06:06 AM
A
As chfite recommended, switch to Mozilla Firefox. You'll never see another popup (unless you allow it).

While I love the Google Toolbar, I've still experienced the occasional popup (when using IE).

Old 12-29-04, 06:09 AM
T
Google toolbar

Chfite,

Won't using the Google toolbar require me to use Google as my default browser?

Tom

Old 12-29-04, 06:43 AM
T
Mozilla Firefox

I downloaded Firefox and imported all my settings from IE to it. It was quick and easy and so far so good.

Thx for tips all, I'll keep you posted...

Your guinea pig.
Tom

Old 12-29-04, 09:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by chfite
To help with controlling popups, you can install the Google toolbar

http://toolbar.google.com

or use another browser, such as: Firefox. These two items have settings to stop popups, while enabling control to allow them from some sites as desired.
That's all I do.

Chris

Old 12-29-04, 09:35 AM
A
Originally Posted by trs4594
Chfite,

Won't using the Google toolbar require me to use Google as my default browser?

Tom
Google's a search engine, not a browser.

If you mean default search engine, then, that is not a bad thing, as Google is the best.

Old 12-29-04, 09:37 AM
A
Originally Posted by trs4594
I downloaded Firefox and imported all my settings from IE to it. It was quick and easy and so far so good.

Thx for tips all, I'll keep you posted...

Your guinea pig.
Tom
One thing to be aware of for people new to Firefox: it may not work with 100% of the websites you visit, although I can say that it probably works for about 95% of my web needs. You also must still use Internet Explorer when you do windows updates.

Old 12-29-04, 11:56 AM
T
Yes, I meant search engine. I am using firefox and google and we'll see how things go.

Given the fact I am not as computer literate as I would like, I am suspicious of anything new, fearing to make a condition worse than it is. It was therefore tremendous to find DIY.com where I actually have been monitoring the electrical and small outdoor motor section.

I then noticed the computer section and it has been such a relief to get advice from the more experienced to help point me in the right direction. I also breezed down through the FAQ section by tae and learned some thing too.

Thx again to all,
Tom

Old 12-29-04, 01:50 PM
A
It's not at all unusual to be wary of new ways of doing things. Don't worry, you won't be sorry. My wife still adamantly refuses to put Firefox on her laptop, and, as the task of keeping her computer in working order falls on me, it is a constant battle to keep it running smoothly

If you run into the occasional problem with Firefox, come back here and post, as there are many folks here that will be glad to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: