Wireless Lan

Old 12-28-04, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Question Wireless Lan

Trying to connect my daughters laptop to a wireless network. She just got the Linksys Router (G type) and had the PMCIa card. I connected her to the internet via a wired connection with some minor problems, but got it up and running.
Now I thought it would just be a matter of plugging in the card and router and she would be up and running....no such luck.
I get a good signal from the router to card, the network shows up on computer. However, when trying to install the router, using the inclosed CD, it says the router is not connected to the internet. What am I missing? Do I just need to disable the SP2 firewall to install the router? (Just thought of that).

HP CPi laptop, DSL modem (verizon), Linksys router. Wish I could give you more information, but I am at work and not at her computer.

Old 12-28-04, 01:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Usually, you need to connect to a wireless router by ethernet to set it up. Once it is set up, you can use the wireless. Shutdown the DSL modem, router, and computer. Start the DSL, once it stabilizes, start the router, then the ethernet connected computer. Using the set up instructions with the router, establish your connection to the internet through the DSL. Then make the settings for the wireless function of the router.

You should be ready now. The computer should show a wireless connection available. Open that connection by unplugging the ethernet and restarting your browser. You may need to run the internet options pull down in Internet Explorer, if you are using Windows, to route the connection to the wireless connection instead of the ethernet connection. The instructions that come with the router should be complete and walk you through this process.

Hope this helps.l

Old 12-28-04, 01:54 PM
First, you shouldn't need to install any software for the router, it is an entirely self contained device and requires no software install to function. Second after installing the drivers in the laptop for the wireless PC card you may need to set the SSID to match the router so you can connect, especially if the laptop PC card is not the same brand as the router.
Third, as stated, you will have to configure the router via an ethernet cable according to the instructions before you can use it wirelessly, if you had a broadband cable connection it would likely work right out of the box, but most DSL setups use PPPOE logon which requires a user name and password to connect, you'll need to configure the router for PPPOE logon and provide the user name and password for your account before it will work.

Last edited by Davejb; 12-28-04 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 03:11 PM
Ok, it has been a couple of days since I messed with it but let me see if I understand or can make you understand what went on:

Connected to the DSL modem to activate account. Was unable to until I figured out I had to disable the XP SP2 firewall. Went through all the happy stuff to get account activated. Surfed web, had good time, drank ice tea and was happy.
Daughter decided she didn't want to be limited by the wire, why have a laptop if you can't move around with it?!?!?!? So got wireless router (G), had wireless card (Roamabout "B").
Plug card in, hooked up router, turned on computer. XP recognised new wireless network. Signal strenght excellent. Figured that was all there was to it, so tried to connect to web....no luck.
Ok, maybe need to install router with CD. Goes to the point where it is trying to connect to web...."your computer is not connected to internet". Shut everything off and power back up to allow things to sync up with each other and get the same results......hmmmmmm?????

I can't have the ethernet and wireless connection at the same time as there is not an onboard ethernet connection. May be able to go over the USB port, but didn't have much luck with that early on during the activation process.

However, it does see the wireless connection, so maybe I will have to go into the IE window to double check the setting (think I have already did that).

How do I check/change the SSID? or PPPOE? Sound familiar, but have to get there to see if I am thinking of the right thing.

Thanks for your help. Hopeing I will be able to get over to her house tonight or tomorrow so am trying to get as much information to run on as I can. Sorry for the questions, without much info or having done anything as of yet.

Old 12-28-04, 04:08 PM
Not that I don't want to help, but read the manual for the router, it has all the info you need on how to access it and set it up for PPPOE DSL.

Old 12-28-04, 04:23 PM
Understood. Not that I want you to hold my hand.......

Thanks for your help. I will read the manual and see what happens.

Old 12-28-04, 04:28 PM
Any major problems let us know. Each brand of router uses different default logons and passwords and different IP configurations and SSID's so some answers we don't have. Also be sure to change the default logon, password, and SSID because all I need to know is the make or model of the router and I can download the manual off the web and then have free access to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: