Windows Protection Error

Old 12-30-04, 12:25 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Windows Protection Error

a friend of mine is running Windows ME, and when he tried to start up his system today he got a blue screen that said Windows Protection Error. He said it told him to restart and when he did it came up again. He tried Safe Mode but got nowhere. Any ideas out there that maybe I could relay to help him out will be appreciated.

Fritoguy15

Old 12-30-04, 01:47 PM
A
Uggh. The fact that he can't even boot into safe mode is not a good sign. An experienced troubleshooter may be able to rescue this, if they had the computer in front of him/her. No easy way via forum.

If switching to Win98se or WinXP is not an option, then I would just go ahead and reformat/reinstall.

Old 12-30-04, 03:12 PM
C
He might try to boot with a Win98 boot disk and check to see if the c:\windows directory still exists. From the a:\ prompt type cd c: Then type cd windows. If so, try to run win from the command line with the directory open to c:\windows. That is, c:\windows>win If that works, run fdisk \mbr from the a:\ prompt to repair the master boot record, and see if the computer will boot.

Not likely, but you have little to work with now anyway.

Old 12-31-04, 03:42 PM
F
Thanks chfite, I got him in to safe mode and did a registry restore. After the reboot he had to take care of a few items to replace missing files and programs because the restore went back so far. Now it is much better and he is looking for the cause.

Fritoguy15

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: