Password protect a specific file?

Old 12-30-04, 01:26 PM
Jason Lorette
Visiting Guest
Password protect a specific file?

Say for example I have a file...that I don't want anyone else looking at on my computer. Can I password protect it?

Say if you clicked on "My Pictures" and there were a bunch of files there...if you click on one of them it asks you for a password...if you don't know it...you can't get in to that particular file.

Is this possible? If so, can someone give me a step by step?

Thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-04, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know of any way to do this that does not involve a piece of software, but there is a simple way to do it that will work for most situations with a piece of software you probably already have.

Zip the file with Winzip or PKZip and apply a password to the zip file. Then delete the original. Someone could open the zip file and see the file inside, but they couldn't uncompress it and view it without the password.

Old 12-30-04, 01:30 PM
you have to make a new folder,add it to it,then right click it and at the bottom hide it.

Old 12-30-04, 01:39 PM
Jason,

If you are using Windows XP (Pro or Home), 2000, or NT, you *may* have all you need to secure files, though not *exactly* like you are talking about.

Post back and tell us what operating system you have...

Old 12-30-04, 01:42 PM
Jason Lorette
Visiting Guest
What is this software you speak of? Is it freeware that I can download somewhere?

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I am using XP PRO

Jason

Old 12-30-04, 01:45 PM
If your user is password protected and if you have the file in the "My documents" or "My pictures" or something similar (underneath your desktop, then it is already password protected.

Old 12-30-04, 01:50 PM
Jason Lorette
Visiting Guest
But my user is usually open all the time and my computer is rarely shut off...thus anyone can click on my pictures, or my documents and access the files.
I'd like to do this at work too...and that runs Windows 98

Jason

Old 12-30-04, 02:06 PM
Jason,

From your start menu, find "My Computer". *Right* click on it and choose "Manage". Click on "Disk Management" under storage. On the right at the top, you should see a table with your disk drives listed. Look for drive C, and tell us whether the "File System" is NTFS or FAT32.

If its NTFS, we're getting somewhere...

Old 12-30-04, 02:10 PM
Based on your last post, NTFS won't do you any good. You have to log out or lock your system to protect your files. If you are not willing to do that, I'll defer to those who know of software to do this. Win98 can't do NTFS, so it would do you no good at work anyway.

Perhaps a USB Thumb drive would be better? Just remove it and stick it in your pocket. Physical security is better than software security anyday...

Old 12-30-04, 02:25 PM
Jason Lorette
Visiting Guest
NTFS (Healthy) 37.26GB Free 26.54GB

J

Old 12-30-04, 03:01 PM
You can leave the computer on and have the screen saver start after so much time and require your password to stop the screen saver.

Old 12-30-04, 04:20 PM
Windows 98 has no security. There is nothing you can do with the Windows 98 operating system to protect the hard drive in any way shape or form. You may be able to buy third party software to protect the files, but I'm not aware of any that will allow them to remain on the hard drive and be protected.

On your XP machine, if you don't want to log out then you are out of luck. Again, you may be able to find third party software to protect them, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Old 12-31-04, 12:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by HouseOfJoe
I don't know of any way to do this that does not involve a piece of software, but there is a simple way to do it that will work for most situations with a piece of software you probably already have.

Zip the file with Winzip or PKZip and apply a password to the zip file. Then delete the original. Someone could open the zip file and see the file inside, but they couldn't uncompress it and view it without the password.
This really is the simplest and most effective way. I've always liked this trick!

Chris

Old 12-31-04, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thread renamed