Any thoughts on AOL dumping Broadband?

Old 01-01-05, 07:39 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts on AOL dumping Broadband?

If you're not sure what I'm talking about - take a look here.

I'm kind of surprised no one has brought this up yet. I know we have quite a few AOL subscribers on this board, so I thought I would find a thread here mentioning this already.

To summarize - AOL is dumping their broadband service, apparently in 9 southern states to start, and eventually the entire service. If, by Jan. 17, you have not changed from AOL BB to another provider, your service is going to revert to dial-up (hmm, I wonder if AOL is still going to charge $54/month to those accounts?)

I started this thread more to get opinions on why AOL would do such a thing? Of course, everyone knows that broadband is the wave of the future - most of the members and mods here are on broadband (and if not, it's only because it's not available to them.)

So, here are my thoughts on the matter:
AOL isn't a broadband user's kind of ISP - it's bulky, it's controlling, it's very annoying (too many pop-ups and ads), and it's plain slow (granted I've never used the BB service, but dial-up is terribly slow.) So, anyone who is going to spend the money on BB service is not going to use AOL to do it (unless it's the BYOA - Bring Your Own Access - plan.) So, it's my thoughts that AOL just understands that there is not market for them in the BB business - anyone smart enough to use BB is smart enought not to use AOL (no offense intended to anyone - I know some people have their reasons for sticking with AOL, for a while at least.)

So tell us your thoughts on AOL - any BB subscribers out there that are getting ready to be dumped? BTW, anyone in this situation that needs BB service should checkout EarthLink.

Old 01-01-05, 08:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by SafeWatch
I started this thread more to get opinions on why AOL would do such a thing?
Probably because they're getting their head caved in by competitors. My guess is that they will disband the service, then re-enter the market in some other fashion. They can't possibly leave it for good.

Chris

Old 01-01-05, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think you probably hit it.. wy pay $54 a month for slow broadband, when your cable company is offer fast broadband for half that?

I'm still trying to figure out why people still use AOL at all. I mean, I was on AOL when AOL, Promenade and some other service whos name eludes me all merged.. service went downhill from there. Promenade was actually pretty good, much better than aol, and a lower _by the hour_ charge (who all remembers those?!).

Old 01-01-05, 11:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SafeWatch
(hmm, I wonder if AOL is still going to charge $54/month to those accounts?)
That would create grounds for a class action lawsuit for overcharging there dail-up service.

Old 01-01-05, 05:40 PM
R
Originally Posted by Pendragon
I think you probably hit it.. wy pay $54 a month for slow broadband, when your cable company is offer fast broadband for half that?

I'm still trying to figure out why people still use AOL at all. I mean, I was on AOL when AOL, Promenade and some other service whos name eludes me all merged.. service went downhill from there. Promenade was actually pretty good, much better than aol, and a lower _by the hour_ charge (who all remembers those?!).
AOL has never been worth the price they charge. They could offer their service free and it wouldn't be worth it.

Old 01-01-05, 05:50 PM
I'll inject a bit of opposite opinion. In the early days (not to long ago) when I was in the dark when it came to the Internet and email, AOL was very good to me. They have a great product for beginners. Once I used it for a while, and became more confident, I didn't want to change email addresses for convenience. So I stuck with it for several years.
For the last 4 or 5 years, I have been spoiled by cable broadband, and wouldn't go back, but AOL has a very nice place in my heart. They could have charge $50 a month for dial up, and I wouldn't have cared, because the package was so user friendly.

Old 01-01-05, 06:20 PM
tae
AOL is definately user friendly, and great for alot of first time internet users. it's also great for people who mainly want to chat alot. once you see how the internet works, then you want more. i remember when aol and compuserve were about the only things going for the masses. Anyway, they will still have their AOL for broadband (bring your own provider) which alot of people still use. i don't think the broadband was a money maker for them.

Old 01-03-05, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
I've been in computer for over 10 years and never trusted AOL.
I would not take it even if the pay me for it lol lol.
*edited*

cheers

Last edited by WorldBuilder; 01-03-05 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Edited to remove an unnecessary statement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: