Laptop power problems

Old 01-01-05, 11:35 PM
transman618
Visiting Guest
Laptop power problems

Hello,

I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop from a police auction. Of course there was nothing with it and the battery was totally dead. Went out and bought a laptop power supply and fired it up and got all sorts of errors. Formatted and installed XP on it successfully. Now every time I power it up it powers itself down just as Windows starts to load. The red battery light flashes and the computer beeps every 10 seconds or so. The green power light is also on. After the computer shuts itself off, it wont come back on when I hit the power button until I unplug the power supply and plug it back in. Then it will power up again until windows starts to load, then shuts off again. Anybody have any ideas on whats ailing this computer ??

Thanks

transman

UPDATE** As soon as I removed the battery from the computer all is working fine. I always thought if the battery is dead, plugging the computer in will bypass the battery. Battery must be shorted or something....

Last edited by transman618; 01-02-05 at 12:44 AM. Reason: New info
Old 01-02-05, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by transman618
UPDATE** As soon as I removed the battery from the computer all is working fine. I always thought if the battery is dead, plugging the computer in will bypass the battery. Battery must be shorted or something....
That sounds exactly like the problem, indeed. Get a new battery.

Chris

Old 01-02-05, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thread renamed

Old 01-02-05, 11:18 PM
transman618
Visiting Guest
laptop power problems

Going to get one tomorrow, thanks Chris for the reply.

One last question, I want to play DVD movies on this, it wont let me right now because it says that I need a DVD decoder installed. It has a DVD drive in it already which works fine so it obviously has the drivers. Now, a friend of mine has a program called Win DVD which came with his Dell. Can I use his Win DVD program in my Toshiba?? Is his Win DVD disk the "decoder" that my computer is asking for???

transman

Old 01-03-05, 04:27 AM
Can I use his Win DVD program in my Toshiba??
Legally? Probably not.

Is his Win DVD disk the "decoder" that my computer is asking for???
Yes. There are others. Google "dvd decoder."

Be aware that some of the "free" ones may be riddled with spyware and/or adware.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: