Memory Question??

Old 01-02-05, 05:36 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Memory Question??

Hi,

I want to upgrade the memory on my computer, but I don't know what memory to buy. I have an AMD Athalon XP 1800, 1.53 GHz desktop. When I went to Best Buy there were so many to choose from. Confusing....

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 01-02-05, 05:41 PM
R
The processor is less important than the motherboard. You need to know what motherboard you have.

Old 01-02-05, 05:45 PM
S
Lightbulb

I have a MSI KM2M Combo-L Motherboard. It also, says K7, KM266, 5.1 ch S/W Audio, LAN on the box the board came in. I hope this makes sense to someone...

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 01-02-05, 06:10 PM
tae
Main Memory
Supports four memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMMs
or two 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs.
Supports a maximum memory size of 2GB.
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM.

DDR 266 - PC2100

or, you can go to crucial,com and walk through their memory selector:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmod...ards&submit=Go

Old 01-02-05, 06:11 PM
R
When searching for computer parts, such as memory, there are several places to try. You should generally consult one or more of the following:

The website for the manufactuirer of the computer.

The web site for the manufacturer of the motherboard.

A well known reputable web site for the part you are looking for, in this case memory.

You should, of course, also consult the documentation that came with the computer or motherboard (you did save it didn't you?).

You should also understand what you already have in yoru system so that you get something compatible and/or so that you get enough memory. You may have to remove (and not use) some of the memory already in your system.

In your case I consulted www.crucial.com. I searched for your motherboard board. You should start from the home page and search as I did. However, yo cut right to the chase, here is a link to the final results:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...L%29&submit=Go

Can you find memory elsewhere? Absolutely. Can you find memory cheaper? Absolutely. Will others gurantee that the memory they sell you will work in your system with your motherboard? Maybe, but probably not if you buy from Best Buy.

Old 01-02-05, 06:29 PM
S
Lightbulb

Thanks for the info! Which is better SDR SDRAM or DDR SDRAM?? Also, will PC100 or PC133 memory work for me??

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 01-02-05, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by greenda4
Thanks for the info! Which is better SDR SDRAM or DDR SDRAM??
DDR is superior.

Also, will PC100 or PC133 memory work for me??
Nope.

Chris

Old 01-02-05, 07:15 PM
C
Thanks for the info! Which is better SDR SDRAM or DDR SDRAM?? Also, will PC100 or PC133 memory work for me??

DDR is faster and cheaper. SDRAM is pretty much obsolete, so buying it guarantees you won't be able to use it with a future upgrade. However, if your machine currently has SDRAM, you need to either add additional SDRAM, or pull out the SDRAM completely and just use DDR (I could be wrong here...perhaps the motherboard can work with both at the same time, but I doubt it).

To tell whether you have DDR or SDRAM, look at the memory stick(s) you have, and count the notches on the bottom. SDRAM has two notches at the bottom and DDR has one. (Look at the pictures on Crucial's website from the link RACRAFT gave you to see what I am talking about.)

I'm with RACRAFT & TAE on Crucial. I've been buying from them for years, and they NEVER disapoint. You never specified how much RAM you have, or how much you want, but if you have one DDR chip currently I'd add one of the 512Mb DDR PC3200 at $80.99 myself. PC3200 is faster than you need, but its more likely to work with a faster motherboard/CPU if/when you upgrade.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: