PC beeps and would not bootup

Old 01-03-05, 11:26 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
PC beeps and would not bootup

I just rebricked my 1.6 MHz PC using Win XP that replaced old Win 2000.
When I had a 2000, PC would occasionally stop booting up and just kept beeping at me.
Now with the Win XP it does it every time. I have to unplug my surge protector from the wall outlet or power it off then re-power it back up and PC boots up from the first time.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-03-05, 11:51 AM
hi
check your cmos setting

cheers

pg

Old 01-03-05, 01:33 PM
N
thanks

Thanks PG!

what specific settings in CMOS I need to look for?

Old 01-03-05, 02:38 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does it do this every time? Does powering down and rebooting always solve the problem, or do you sometimes have to do it several times before it reboots?

Old 01-03-05, 05:40 PM
N
yes/no

Yes it does it every single time I have to start my machine. The only time it does not happen and so far it never happened, is when I hit the restart icon instead of the shutdown. Yes powerdown and reboot so far always solved the problem while XP is installed, it used to take sometimes a coule of tries and sometimes only once with 2000…
Thanks for asking….

Old 01-03-05, 06:03 PM
C
Try reseating all your cards and memory chips.

Old 01-03-05, 07:02 PM
A
Hmm...

This reminds me of the old days before fast hard drives. It used to be that, sometimes, your POST (the screens you see at bootup) would run too fast, and your hard drive wasn't spun up in time when the system was ready to start loading your operating system. Older BIOSs used to have the option of inserting a short wait time to allow for your hard drive to sufficiently spin up.

Just for fun, I would try going into my BIOS after reboot (DEL or F1, depending on your system) and Disabling the option that says "Quick Power On Self Test". This will force your system to run the full system tests before it boots your OS (it won't take much longer than a normal boot). I would try this for a while and see if the problem goes away.

Old 01-04-05, 04:10 AM
B
I beleive I'd replace the surge protector first. How old is the surge protector? If more than a couple years old, you want to replace it anyway. They do wear out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: