Mozilla's T-bird and Microsoft's Outlook Express

Old 01-02-05, 04:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mozilla's T-bird and Microsoft's Outlook Express

Hello all. Well I decided to download Firefox and while I was at it I also installed the Thunderbird mail program. If it were up to me I'd get rid of Internet Explorer altogether, but , the wife is a little hesitant.
What I'd like to do is to use one of my e-mail addresses for each one. The ISP that we use supplies us with two.
I have been playing with it off and on all day (between removing x-mas decorations and football) and I still haven't been able to get them both to send and receive messages correctly. I've got O.E. to accept the messages from T-bird, but I can't get T-bird to accept them from O.E. (Outlook Express).
My ISP says that this is doable,so, I am assuming its got to be in my settings somewhere. Has anyone tried to do this and if so did it work o.k.???
Oh, and by the way I am using Windows XP Home Ed. with SP2.

Thanx.

Old 01-02-05, 04:53 PM
R
Your post does not make sense.

Email clients receive emails from email servers. Your ISP is your email server. You certainly can set up more than one email client on your PC. Thunderbird and Outlook Express are email clients.

By the way, dump Outlook Express as quickly as possible. Replace it with anything, but do replace it. It's free for a reason.

Old 01-02-05, 05:27 PM
C
Make sure your settings are correct. I use more than one mail program without a problem. Two of them use the same outbound server. Another one I use is for a different account altogther.

Old 01-02-05, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by toni1595
I have been playing with it off and on all day (between removing x-mas decorations and football) and I still haven't been able to get them both to send and receive messages correctly. I've got O.E. to accept the messages from T-bird, but I can't get T-bird to accept them from O.E. (Outlook Express).
I don't understand this... The two don't send messages between each other... They're both clients.

Do you mean you want two e-mail addresses, one to be recieved through OE and the other to be recieved through FB? Is that what you mean?

Chris

Old 01-03-05, 05:34 PM
T
I'm sorry for the confusion. I just figured that we could use one address on each of the mail programs. I'll admit I'm not an expert on such things.
You see when we first started using the internet we didn't realize that alot of these companies buy and sell or give or whatever your email address, so we are getting alot of junk mail from places we've never heard of.?? I guess we could change the spammed address, but, over time it would probably end up the same way it is now. We figured just leave the old one the way it is and just be real selective with who we give our new one to. Does that sound like a good idea or will it end up the same way the old one is now, with all of the junk mail?
Is there any good way to tell who you can trust to give your address to? I think the only ones that wouldn't sell it are your friends and relatives. Then again some of my relatives, who knows. LOL.
Really I think that I can dump I.E. and O.E eventually, once I convince her that were better off without it. I can see already that the pages load quicker and there are other features like the "junk" icon thing in T-bird that looks like it might be quite useful.
I guess what I'm asking is can you take two separate email addresses and send and receive in two separate email programs even though there on the same server?

Old 01-03-05, 07:16 PM
A
Originally Posted by toni1595
You see when we first started using the internet we didn't realize that alot of these companies buy and sell or give or whatever your email address, so we are getting alot of junk mail from places we've never heard of.?? I guess we could change the spammed address, but, over time it would probably end up the same way it is now. We figured just leave the old one the way it is and just be real selective with who we give our new one to. Does that sound like a good idea or will it end up the same way the old one is now, with all of the junk mail?
Is there any good way to tell who you can trust to give your address to? I think the only ones that wouldn't sell it are your friends and relatives. Then again some of my relatives, who knows. LOL.
You're on the right track.

Case in point:

My wife and I both have an email address based out of our DSL ISP, i.e. exact same mail server. She signs up for little newsletters of stuff she finds on the net that she likes. I only give my email address out when necessary, and only to places that I trust. She gets (literally) hundreds of spam emails each month. I get none.

I give her a hard time about it, but I still love her, and cleaning her computer out of all the spyware and junk allows us some husband/wife bonding

The moral of the story is, treat your email address like you would your home phone number. Don't give it out to people you don't know/don't trust.

Old 01-04-05, 04:16 AM
B
Don't be so quick to blame companies for selling your email addy. While its true that some do this (no different than with snail mail), most of the spammers get your addy from sniffers. Even if you just used the one addy for friends and relatives, you'll still get spam. The more you email people, the more spam you will get.

Can you get any mail on TB?

Old 01-04-05, 04:57 PM
T
Well I did get an email through T-bird, but , I don't remember exactly how I had the darned thing setup. I was making so many changes that I don't really know for sure just what I had now. I'll keep trying though. Thanx for your interest.

Yes, I guess its just a fact of the internet, you're going to get spammed, like it or not.

Old 01-05-05, 11:24 AM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by racraft
Your post does not make sense.

By the way, dump Outlook Express as quickly as possible. Replace it with anything, but do replace it. It's free for a reason.
Better watch how you phrase that, T-Bird is free too

Old 01-05-05, 03:34 PM
R
Perhaps I should have added more to that.

Microsoft releases free software because they want to. (Other companies release free software because they have to.)

Microsoft needed an email client to go with their browser, Internet Explorer. They released Internet Explorer for free so that they could enter into and take over the browser market.

Many people use IE and Outlook Express because Microsoft puts it on their PCs. Because Microsoft has such a large market share, and because they don't get direct revenue from IE or Outlook Express, Microsoft has no reason to make these products the best they can be or as safe as they can be (although the safe part is changing).

Old 01-09-05, 05:22 AM
T
Well I thought I'd write back just to close this one out. I was alright after all. The wife had given our new address to one of her friends and low and behold it came right to T-bird with no problems. What I was trying to do was to send and receive on the same server and it did not work too well. So I guess all is well in the computer world for now or at least until I make some more changes, and mess things up again. Thanx again for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: