computer on/off question

Old 01-09-05, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
computer on/off question

This question has probably been asked a million times already,but i am wondering what the thoughts are on leaving your computer on all the time versus shutting it off after use. I shut mine off just to conserve energy and prolong the life of the equipment,but i don't know if i'm doing more harm than good. Example:auto updates don't come into effect till the computer is turned on, turning on and off more detrimental than leaving on? etc.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-05, 11:12 AM
J
Received 462 Likes on 382 Posts
If I'm going to be away more then a couple of hours, it gets turn off. Never leave it on overnight unless i'm downloading somehting very large from a slow site.

Old 01-09-05, 11:37 AM
T
My systems run 24/7 for several reasons, one of which is that I hate waiting (even 2 minutes to start it back up). You do consume for more energy, and the life of the system will be shortened (especially fans and hard drives), but it's a compromise.

Like joed said, unless you have a good reason to have it running all the time shut it off. But I can tell you that 90% of my clients never shut their systems off.

Old 01-09-05, 12:04 PM
C
Mine run all the time from construction until retirement. I don't know of any reason to turn them off. They use a small amount of power. I generally run some productive program all the time. I doubt they fail any earlier, because they stay at a steady state.

Old 01-09-05, 12:18 PM
R
The answer to this question is not straight forward.

What you should do depends on a variety of factors.

Newer computers use very little energy when they go into standby mode. The hard drive has shut down, as has the video card and the monitor. Certainly leaving your system in standby mode makes sense if you are going to come back to it shortly. However, if you are going to be away for a long period of time then you probably want top turn it off.

Now for companies this is not necessarily the case. At my company we have certain maintenance operations take place at night. Our systems all do a complete virus scan at night, and they automatically update their virus definitions at night. So if your system is a work system, and part of a work network, check with your administrator as to proper protocol.

Old 01-09-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks to all who replyed.. I use my home computer only a couple hours a day,so it looks like i should continue to shut it down.
My company computers are on all the time just for the reasons stated a concerning the system updates at all times during the day and night. As a matter of fact,our sytem administrator gets upset if any of us shuts down the company computer. sleep mode is o.k. though.

Thanks to all again

Old 01-09-05, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Personally, run 'em 24/7, but turn the monitors off when not in use.

Hey, if all else fails, run SETI, FOLDING, or another DS client 24/7. Make use of those CPU cycles!

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: