Installation outside

Old 01-09-05, 03:55 PM
wanabehandymom
Visiting Guest
Installation outside

We live in ID and are remodeling and attempting to wire the shed for internet with cat 5 networking cable and a networking hub/router. There is a cable that will run from outside the house to the shed. The cable will run about 10-15ft long. However, I am curious about code and height restrictions outside. If any, how do I go about this installation to insure that we maintain insurance and not incur any errors. I am posting at various sites because I am not sure where it should be posted. Thanks for any info.

Old 01-09-05, 04:07 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what you are looking for. There are no rules governing low voltage wiring, such as telephone and computer networking. It is true that you cannot (and should not) run them with regular electrical wiring, but that is about it.

For safety (and to keep them working) I would not run them where someone is likely to trip over them, or where someone is likely to hang something from them, or where they will be subject to abuse from the elements, but other than that you are free to do as you please.

Old 01-09-05, 04:17 PM
C
For durablity, I would install the Cat5 underground in conduit. There is some Cat5 rated for exposed installations. Of course, simply stringing it overhead in an informal fashion would work. Remember to keep the total run under 100 meters in length.

I doubt that there would be any insurance implications to this installation. For assurance, call your insurance agent and ask. If you live in a city, you might check to see if the building code has any sections addressing this.

A wireless access point close in the house close to the shed might work as well as anything else.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-05, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
another point to ponder.. if your friends with your telco guys, just get them to add a short "drop" to the shed.. they'll have to put a NID on the bldg, but that's no big deal if you know them.. (that's to protect the phone company)... or, if they will sell you a piece of maintenance drop cheap enough, that's direct burial wire, you could run that into your existing NID and hook up on the customer side of the unit to feed the shed or office.. then put a "dry spot" on the wall of your outside bldg to attach your cat5 I/W in... hang a jack and wa la...

Old 01-11-05, 08:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree that underground in conduit is the way to go, although definitely consider wireless. As has been said, since it's low voltage wiring, I know of no rules governing it's safety aspect.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: