How do i re-install windows 98 on laptop?

Old 01-10-05, 01:52 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
How do i re-install windows 98 on laptop?

I have this old windows 98 laptop , that i havent used in awhile...it comes on , but i cant do anything with it....the mouse moves but wont open anything..lol..

how do i just re-install windows and start a new?..thx

bob

Old 01-10-05, 03:55 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Set the BIOS to allow booting from the CD ROM, insert the installation CD into the drive, and boot the computer. It should start from there. Otherwise, use a Windows 98 boot floppy to boot the computer. Select a full installation with formatting.

If you need another source of a Windows 98 boot floppy, check the sticky posts at the top of the Computer Forum.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-05, 09:01 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
thx Chris

i ill give it a shot, but when i put a recovery disc in..nothing happened,...does this mean anything....... ill try your suggestion...thx again

bob

Old 01-10-05, 11:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The CD drive has to be BEFORE the HDD on the boot order list in the BIOS. To get into the BIOS, you probably have to press the DEL key as it starts, before getting to Windows. You should see a little text message on boot up that says something like, "Press DEL to enter setup."

It could be the F2 key, or something else, but it's often the DEL key.

Once there, look for the boot sequence, and move the CD drive before the HDD. Put the CD back in, reboot, and the CD should catch, taking you to a process where you should only have to follow directions.

Chris

Old 01-10-05, 02:03 PM
R
An "old laptop" may not be able to change the boot sequence and/or may not support booting from the CD ROM drive.

The only solution may be having a floppy that can be booted from.

Old 01-11-05, 01:47 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
thx guys

i will try it and keep you guys posted....

bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: