Wiping the hard drive

Old 01-15-05, 07:38 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiping the hard drive

Can someone tell me how to get rid of my current hard drive and start totally over?

Also, if i have some kind of virus in there will wiping the hard drive out do any good ? I does not matter if we lose the data currently in it. It's a western digital hd

Thanks
Susan

Old 01-15-05, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
You have an operating system to put back on I assume? Depending on what os you're going to install, the procedures may be slightly different. For Win98 you could boot from your Win98 boot disk, go to a: and type "format c:". This would format the hard drive which, among other things, deletes all existing data including any viruses on the drive.

For WinXP if you have a WinXP disk, slip it in the cdrom drive and the install program should give you the option of formatting the drive before installation (or reinstallation).

Couple of questions:

1. Do you know what your virus problem is or are you guessing you have a virus becasue of problems.
2. Have you run up-to-date virus scanning software to try to resolve the problem. You can find a downloadable, free scaner program that works very well (AVG) at www.grisoft.com. Be sure to install the most recent updates after program installaion. Grisoft also has downloadable fixes for a variety of virus, worms, trojans, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: