small problem in my MSI bios

Old 01-18-05, 06:43 AM
tythetiger
Visiting Guest
Question small problem in my MSI bios

Woops! i have an MSI 848p Neo V motherboard with the current bios. however last night i looked at my settngs in the bios and in the ram timing section (i think it was called voltages/frequencies) i saw that the PSB timing was set to 200 mhz and my options were anywhere from 200mhz to 500 mhz. well i upped it to 400 mhz and immediatly upon saving these changes with an f10 exit my monitor said goodnite. now my computer stayed on so i rebooted a couple times. nada. i figured i screwed the front side bus/ agp timing so i put in an old pci video card and reconnected my monitor. nada. i just need to get some video working so that i can reset my bios settings or if need be default them. does anyone know a way to accomplish this without output from my videocard? hmmmmmm.....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have to reset the CMOS settings to do this. Check your motherboard manual for instructions. There may be a CMOS reset jumper or button. If not, you should be able to reset the CMOS as follows:

Unplug the system.
Pull the CMOS battery.
Wait for a minute or so.
Put the battery back in
Plug the system up
Turn it on.

ALL your CMOS settings will be wiped out, so you'll have to start over now.

Old 01-18-05, 09:34 AM
Just out of curiosity why did you do this? RAM timings are set by SPD (see below) on current boards, no reason to change them, especially such a radical change as that, the results you got would be 100% expected.

Serial Presence Detect

When a computer is booted (started), serial presence detect (SPD) is information stored in an electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM) chip on a synchronous dynamic random access memory (SDRAM) memory module that tells the basic input/output system (BIOS) the module's size, data width, speed, and voltage. The BIOS uses this information to configure the memory properly for maximum reliability and performance. If a memory module does not have SPD, the BIOS assumes the memory module's information. With some memory, this does not cause problems. But SDRAM memory has to have SPD or the computer may not boot at all. If it does boot, the assumed information may cause fatal exception errors

Before SPD, memory chips were identified with parallel presence detect (PPD). PPD used a separate PIN for each bit of information, which meant that only the speed and density of the memory module could be stored because of the limited space for pins. The EEPROM chip on an SPD memory module only requires two pins so more information can be stored.

Old 01-18-05, 11:03 AM
Your board undoubtedly has a CMOS reset jumper/button. Check your manual, and it will show you where it is. You should be able to recover without a problem - lucky for you modern motherboards are more forgiving for this sort of thing, or you probably would have smoked your processor. Since P4s use a quad pumped bus, you were trying to run at 1600Mhz fsb instead of 800

Unless you're overclocking, don't touch your memory settings, CPU multipliers, or fsb settings.

Old 01-18-05, 11:35 AM
tythetiger
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hey guys thanks for the help and thanks for the clarification on the quad pumped front side bus. the reason did this was to fulfill the american dream. if 200 mhz was good, 400 mhz MUST be better. and since my options allowed me to go to 500 mhz i figured 400 mhz would leave me safe. all joking aside, thanks for the explanations. this really helps. ill let you know how it goes.

Old 01-18-05, 03:37 PM
tythetiger
Visiting Guest
Wink

yup removing the batt. reset the cmos settings and this was wonderfully easy. thanks guys (or gals)!

Old 01-19-05, 07:46 AM
Most newer motherboards give a lot of extra headroom in the fsb and memory timings because overclocking is a popular pasttime nowadays.

That old adage is correct, but just because your tachometer goes up to 7000 RPM, it doesn't mean your engine will survive the experience

FYI, in all likelihood, you can probably increase your fsb well beyond the current setting of 200Mhz, and it's a good way to get some extra mileage out of your processors. It must be done incrementally (a few Mhz at a time) however.

If you're interested, there are many geek-oriented sites out there who specialize in showing you how to overclock without blowing up your computer.