Printer Problem again! and again and again...

Old 01-20-05, 03:54 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Printer Problem again! and again and again...

I'll try to keep this civil, exersizing 'restraint of pen and tongue,' and quiet the urge smash my Dell AIO A920 to bits. It seems I'm destined not to have a working printer as all the printers I've ever owned malfunction in short time.

The problem, continual paper jam...it now jams everytime. I went back and read AwesomeDells post and his happy resolution...I tried the same but to no avail. I also read the dire post that if there is ink at the point of the jam the unit is likely done for. This is the case.

Aside from holding it upside down and shaking it, as Awe D did, (I also used a mini vac) I've tried reloading the paper, using only a single page, unplugging and plugging, cleaning what I can reach...

I have this printer complements of Dell for my computer purchase, it has only been in use, and sparingly so, for about 2 months... this would make it champion of the long line of lemons in my computing life

Is it time to go shopping again or does anyone have another idea?

Thanks!

Old 01-20-05, 05:16 AM
E
So I call Dell and they generously offer a replacement. How times have changed when a replacement (which costs them less than the box it's sent in) is but a temporary fix.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced printer/scanner that will operate problem free for longer than ...say two months?

Thanks !

Old 01-20-05, 05:53 AM
R
The free printers that Dell and other computer manufacturers sell you cheaply or even give you "for free" are not worth much. They are not designed to handle much volume, or even to do a good job printing, although some do a reasonable job.

Rather, they are designed to sell. Designed to sell computers and designed to sell ink. Some people may very well select a particular computer package, just because it includes a "free" printer. And just about all of the people who do get a free printer will buy ink for it when the half filled (at best) starter cartridges run dry. many will go right back to the place they bought the computer from, and pay whatever price is charged for the ink, even though they could buy the same ink elsewhere cheaper.

Those "free" printers are a marketing ploy. And they work. They work very well.

Now to your problem. What to buy to replace your printer.

I have had good luck with Canon. many people like HP, but I had bad luck with the Canon multifunction unit I had.

Whatever you buy, I suggest that you NOT buy based solely on price. Sometimes it is better to pay more in the beginning, but less in the long run. Look for something that you can buy ink for at Wal-Mart (which usually means that you can buy the ink anywhere). Choose a device that gets good reviews and that is made by a company you have heard from.

Old 01-20-05, 06:22 AM
A
I have had HPs that have lasted many years, but that's just my personal choice. I will buy whatever is a good deal and gets decent customer reviews. Try going to newegg.com and checking out the reviews that people give for the top selling items. I have found these reviews to be invaluable in the past. If there is a quality control issue with a printer, someone will have probably pointed it out in a product review.

Old 01-20-05, 11:45 AM
E
Thanks Bob and Dave, I know the whole racket of the 'free' printers and the woefull inferiority of the product, as a rule. When I called and was offered the replacmenent I hardly felt like it was my lucky day, in fact I almost refused it, due to my resolve in once and for all getting a reliable printer that I can plug in and not give a second thought to. I will check out that site of reviews and have heard mainly praise for the HP and the Cannons. The thing is, is that I have gone the route of thorough research of customer opinon and expert reviews and stil have had bad experiences, all under the heading of "Best Buy's." I think I'll just have to pay bigger money.

Does anyone have an opinion of the 'all in one' units? I am opposed to this arrangement in most cases, but free space in my office is a rare and precious thing.

Also, what about Bubble Jet vs. Inkjet? A friend of mind as an HP bubble jet and claims he pays close to nothing for his ink cartridges.

Old 01-20-05, 04:56 PM
D
I have had really good luck with my Canon. I really like the seperate ink tanks so I can replace the colors I use most.
One bad thing about multifunction is that you will lose some features (scanner) once you put it on a network (future considerations).

Old 01-20-05, 09:33 PM
C
The REALLY bad thing about multifunction printers (at least the HP ones) is that if the scanner dies, nothing works; if the fax machine dies, nothing works, if the...(you get the picture). Sink $250-$400 or so into a "quality" multifunction and see how you feel when it dies at 13-15 months (12 month warranty). A friend of mine (who is a VERY good IT guy) just lost his $400 investment in a multifunction. It's now a multi-nonfunction.

I personally have two printers, one laser (B&W), and one inkjet (OK, actually I have 20+ printers, but I digress... ) I use the laser for B&W documents and stuff I will just throw away. The inkjet is for color and higher resolution stuff (ancient laserjet is just 300dpi).

I saw a deal for a laserjet, btw, in case anyone is interested: HP LaserJet 1320: 22ppm, 1200dpi, automatic *duplexor built-in*. They are under $400 (and as cheap as $349) and there is a $100 rebate. Not bad, considering it'll duplex.

Old 01-22-05, 02:40 AM
E
Well, bright and early on my door step was a replacment refurbished AIO A920 courtesey of Dell. I think I might just keep it, partly, as an on-going gag. I'll use it occasionally (along with the Cannon or HP I'm going to buy) until it breaks down in a couple of months and have them keep on sending me replacements. I have a strange sense of humor, maybe too much free time.

In my exerience Dell responds quite well to customer disatisfaction, I recieved a free 512mb memory module from my inconvenience and displeasure with another matter. Who knows what the payoff might be for this?

Old 01-23-05, 11:17 AM
tythetiger
Visiting Guest
Hi Egreen. ive had great luck with my HP psc 1210 all in one. I like that I can make color or b&w copies without turning on my pc. It has great resolution for my photo printing and it is very useful to have the scanner, but you probably know that. I bought mine for about $100.00 bucks about 9 months ago. it comes with HP photo software but I like ACDSee instead. they also sell some with built in CARD READERS. lol I know youve already had that discussion. good luck with your refurb. its nice to hear that Dell does care about its customers...somewhat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: