T-Bird install problems??..

Old 01-23-05, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T-Bird install problems??..

Hey Guys,
I'm trying to get Thunderbird to work with my Firefox ... installed T-bird, but never got a prompt to import setting from OE or anything...just basic username prompts, etc....Getting this error message: "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.(myserver).net responded : authorization failed."......Curiously, could not find any help in the Mozilla forums...

Am I missing something simple here?...Do I need to contact my ISP??...

Using 98SE as my OS...

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 04:36 PM
You will need to go into the settings for accounts and set up the account for your mailserver. This will include the name of the mailserver, the account name, user name, password, any port restrictions.

As I recall, you can import mail from OE.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-05, 05:35 PM
tae
sounds like you did not set it up right.
check the mail server settings again.

Old 01-23-05, 05:40 PM
...that's how it sounds to me too, tae...managed to import all my OE stuff, but still getting the same error message...

Can I compare my OE settings and match them to T-Bird?...What do I look for?...What are "port restrictions"???

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-23-05, 06:22 PM
You can check the settings in OE and use them. Port restrictions have to do with some ISPs blocking port 25 for mail. Earthlink uses port 587. This is to stop spam relaying.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-05, 06:42 PM
No luck...guess I'm stuck with OE?....

Still can't get T-Bird to connect...

M-

Old 01-24-05, 06:45 PM
Manually compare the settings in Outlook Express with those for Thunderbird. You should be able to see the difference fairly quickly.

Old 01-24-05, 06:50 PM
Hey racraft,
What settings, specifically?...When I create a new account, T-Bird tells me that username exists already and to create another...I'm not setting up correctly, apparently...

Check the settings before or after I create a new account, import, etc?..

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-24-05, 06:52 PM
If you have already set up one username in T-bird. select that account and edit it. Else, delete it and start over.

Old 01-24-05, 07:30 PM
No luck...Oh well ... It's OE for me, I guess...

Old 01-24-05, 09:32 PM
tae
thunderbird sets up pretty much like outlook. i would delete it, restart the computer, reinstall it. get the specific info you need from your isp, either over the phone, or from their web site. enter it into thunderbird when prompted. it sounded like you were just having problems with "authentication" which probably means your password. make sure it's correct(all caps,no caps, whichever) and the mail servers are listed right, like pop.mail.isp.net and smtp.mail.isp.net, or whatever your isp needs/tells you.

a link to your isp's mail settings:http://eonet.net/selfhelp.php?PHPSES...d4acdcecc10f7a

this is for outlook express, but should pretty much apply to tbird. notice the red part i highlighted. this is probably where most people will make a mistake.from their page: Double click on Outlook Express. A window may appear asking you for a mail folder location. Click OK to select the default location.(If a setup wizard appears, click Cancel to exit it. We want to configure your settings manually.)
You should now be back at the Outlook Express main screen. Find the Tools menu, click on it, and find Accounts. Click on Accounts. Click the Mail tab.
Find the Add button, and choose Mail.
At the Display name prompt, enter your full name. This name will appear on outgoing email you send to other people on the Internet. Click on Next.
Enter your email address in the Email address box. Then click on Next.
Both your incoming (POP3) and outgoing (SMTP) mail servers will need to be set to mail.eonet.net. Once you have them entered, click on Next.
Your POP account name should already be entered in the next box you see under Logon using but you need to add the @eonet.net so that your entire email address is in that box. Type the password you use for mail and/or logging onto the Internet in the box provided (click Save Password if you desire) and then click NEXT.
Click on Finish and your mail configuration will be complete. Select Send and Receive from the toolbar menu, and any mail that you have to be downloaded from our server will be retrieved by you computer.

Old 01-25-05, 01:39 PM
Hello Tae and everyone,
I GOT IT!!...finally...before I read your last in-depth reply (which I've saved as a reference) I contacted my ISP...They advised me to do exactly what you highlighted in red for me...That's all I did, and T-Bird is up and running...

As soon as I'm comfy with it, it's GOODBYE OE for good...Just need to get T-Bird set up the way I'm used to seeing and using OE...

Already created another account for my wife, but getting all messages in one account...but that's what the tutorials and other abundant help out there for T-Bird is for...I'll get it...

Again, LOTS of thanks for all y'alls help ,
Matt