CD/DVD Play/Record compatability X What?

Old 01-30-05, 06:01 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CD/DVD Play/Record compatability X What?

I have a Dell 4600. xp 16X DVD ROM Drive, 8X DVD+R/RW CD-RW COMBO DRIVE INFO 16X DVD ROM and 8X DVDRW drive

1.) I tried to save a word doc. to a 4x CD rw disc for the first time. (My prior experience is only saving to diskette.) My record drive wouldn't accept the request when I chose rwdrive from the save as menue so I had to go through the third party software preloaded on my computer (sonic) to perform the task. Thing is, it took forever for a 2 page doc. to be saved. Actually it hung up and I had to cancel it, though I later found that it had been succesfully written to the disc.

2.) I recorded on a 8x DVD-R disc from my dvd recorder connected to my Television. I tried to play it on my computer and it did except for the fact that it froze when I tried to change chapters. (it does not do this with purchased DVD's)

Why can't I save to disc using 'save as' as with diskette? Do I need faster speed discs to rectify these difficulties?

Old 01-30-05, 07:24 AM
I am not a computer expert by any far reaching stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me that you would need to save to your hard drive first, and then copy to your CD. Then, if you didn't want to use up your H/D space, you could just delete the doc file from your H/D. Does that make sense? Hope so. After all, I can only be wrong. LOL

Old 01-30-05, 09:19 AM
D
I don't use Sonic,

but my Roxio Easy CD creator has to format the CD-RW before I can use it. From what I understand, the program has to format it like a floppy before it can be used. Once formatted, I can just copy the files from within Windows.

The other way to use it would be to treat it like a CD-R and "burn" it the same way.

Check the help files for Sonic, you should find out more info about using CD-RW's with it.

I'm not familiar with DVD writers, so I can't help there. I'd try checking the software maker's web site, look for "Support" and "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions). You may luck out and find the answer there.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-30-05, 04:35 PM
C
If you save the file to disk, then right click on the file name, and select Send to: CD drive, this will invoke the cd writing routine in XP and write to the disk by sending the files to another window, the manager will open in the systray advising that files are ready to be written to CD. If you click on the popup, the window with the files will open. You can select File, write files to CD, the program will write the files to the CD, and eject the CD. If you don't want another copy, select discard from the final window.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-05, 04:52 AM
E
Thanks guys, I believe I got it now. I'm a bit stumped now as to how to get my archived e mails in outlook onto disc. If anyone knows how this is done, do tell.

Thanks all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: