wireless router ??

Old 01-30-05, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wireless router ??

i have a p.c. and my son is getting him a pc for his room.i heard you can have a wireless router and he won't have to have a seperate i.s.p. for his p.c. is this true and how hard is it to hook up? can we be on internet at same time and will we still have seperate e-mails and such.i've never hooked one of these up and don't know nothing about them but any info on them would be appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-05, 08:13 PM
Sharing an Internet connection means that something has to act as a router. This could be one of the computers or it could be an external device. If your ISP connection is via a DSL modem or a cable modem then some type of external router makes sense, and the two common choices are wired or wireless. Note that all wireless routers allow for at least one wired connection.

If you have dial up for ISP service then you should not even think about trying to share the connection, as it is generally more trouble than it is worth.

When comparing wired and wireless connections, there are some things to consider. A wired connection is usually easier to configure. Wired connections are also safer. If at all possible, both computers should be wired to the router, and you should not even bother to use wireless.

However if wiring connections is not desired the wireless may make sense. Keep in mind that certain cordless telephones can interfere with wireless signals, and that wireless is somewhat harder to setup and configure.

With either situation you need to make changes to the router. At the very least change the administrator password for the router. For a wireless router, make certain that you enable as much security as possible. Do not simply turn on wireless functionality or anyone in your immediate area, which includes people driving down the road will be able to access the Internet through your connection, and may very well be able to access your computers hard drives.

Old 01-30-05, 08:29 PM
You can use a wireless router to share the internet connection that you currently have for your computer. If you have dialup, then simplest approach may be to use internet connection sharing. Connect the wireless router to your computer, configure it to share the connection with your computer and set it up to handle the connection from the wireless NIC (network interface card) in the other computer.

I could go on with all the steps to set up a wireless router in your home here, but it would be more productive to know what operating system(s) are on the two computers (Apple MacIntosh, Linux, Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, or XP), what type of connection you have to the internet (dialup, cable, dsl, satellite), and the approximate ages of the computers.

Old 01-31-05, 04:40 PM
i am in the same boat. i have 2 computers both running xp, one has a cable modem. i can run a cable between them (one downstairs one up) if i have to.

i want to be able to access the other computer from my main unit. can this be done wireless as well?

Old 01-31-05, 05:33 PM
Wink

Sure like the wireless set up on the PC here some times have had 3 on at the same time . They all work just fine.
BUT BUT had to change some of the wireless phones here. When the other PC where on line and the phone a 2.5 G would ring it would shut the other pc down off the wirless. But not my main one. Like said look out When the granddaughter goes on there are 3 other names come up on the screen with hers to punch in. Have asked around but still can find who they are yet

ED

Old 01-31-05, 06:08 PM
hvac4u

Here's the lowdown: buy a wireless router, get a wireless NIC (network interface card) for the other computer. Install the wireless NIC in the other computer. It goes in the same as an ethernet NIC.

The instructions that come with the card and the router will have pictures of the screen settings and a discussion of how to set them up.

To install the NIC, turn the remote computer off. Open the case, and look along the back of the computer. There will be some slots there. Open the package for the NIC and remove the card. If you look at the card, you can see how it must go into the slots. Choose a slot and remove the metal plate along the back of the computer that goes with the slot. Insert the card into the slot, making sure that the metal tab fits between the motherboard and the back of the computer. The card should snap securely into position so that the metal tab's top fits over the opening in the back of the computer where you removed the metal plate. Replace the screw to retain the NIC. Replace the cover. **Note: if there is a ethernet NIC already in the computer, remove it.**

Start the computer. XP should automatically detect the new card and install drivers for it. If a window opens asking for a disk, insert the CD that comes with the NIC. Usually, this is not needed.

Wireless router. You will need the account information that your broadband ISP supplied for setting up your account.

Turn off the broadband modem. Get the router out of the box, attach the power cord, plug it into a source of power, connect an ethernet cable from the NIC in your computer to one of the ports on the router. Choose on that is not marked uplink or WAN.

Check the instructions that come with the router for exceptions, but generally this is how to set it up.

With your computer running, check that there is a light where the ethernet cable connects to your computer and that at least one light is lit on the router to show that there is a good connection between the router and the computer.

Fire up a browser, and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar at the top. This should open a window that allows for logging in to the router. Usually the default username is admin and the default password is admin or password. Select the setup tab and enter the information your ISP provided for your account. Select save. This should have the router set up to log in to the broadband modem in the next step.

Turn the router off. Shutdown the computer. Connect an ethernet cable from the WAN connection of the router to the broadband modem. Start the modem and give it however much time it takes to have the lights stop flickering and such. Generally, 30 - 60 seconds is sufficient. YMMV. Power on the router. It will take just a few seconds for the lights to become steady. Now, boot the computer.

If all goes well, the router logged in to your account on the broadband modem and got the address for your connection. If the computer was set up to get an address randomly by DHCP from the broadband modem originally, it will get an address by default using the DHCP server in the router.

Fire up a browser and see if you can connect to the internet. Everything should be working now.

Start the remote computer, if not already running. Select Start, Control Panel, Network connections, make a new connection. This should launch the Wizard to walk you through setting up the wireless connection. The identity of the connection will probably be the name of the brand of wireless router that you bought. Ignore for the nonce any warning about any lack of security. We need to get the connection running first. The wizard should walk you through setting up the connection, and testing it. Use DHCP to get an address from the DHCP server in the router. In a few minutes, this connection should be up and running. If it appears to be set up and the browser won't connect, try restarting the computer. Restarting is always good for Windows.

After this is working properly, review the section in the owner's manual about securing the wireless connection. At a minimum, you should lock out any wireless connection from any other computer by using MAC address filtering. You can set this up through the router. Read and understand the WEP and other forms of security. The connection must be working before you can use them. Otherwise, you may wind up with a useless arrangement locked out by your own security. Microsoft's website has a good tutorial about securing wireless connections, if you care to take a gander at it.

Once you have made your connection secured, then you can turn on file sharing, printer sharing, or anything else you want.

You may learn that the wireless connection varies in strength with the remote computer moved only a few inches in one direction of another. The wireless router will provide a better signal, if it is situated higher in the room. It may help to move it around a bit to see how it does, if the received signal is not strong.

As with any arrangement wherein a router is running behind a broadband modem, if the power fails, turn everything off, then back on starting with the broadband modem, the router, then the computers. This will ensure that the broadband modem and router set up properly, and the router logs in to your account, and the computer get valid addresses.

Hope this helps.