Install motherboard

Old 02-01-05, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Install motherboard

Hi
I order new mothebaord for my computer.
Do i need special mounting screw to hold it down.
I remember the old 486 we used plastic snap to hold it.
I have right now is brass screw with a hex bolt part that is about 1/4 in long and has a treaded end at one end and the other is where i insert the screw in.
Do i need some special washer to?

cheers

pg

Old 02-01-05, 09:42 AM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To mount the motherboard, first determine which holes in the motherboard line up with which holes in the case. Then mount the standoffs. There are two types. The first is the brass type. It has threads on one end that allow you to screw it into the case. It has a hole on the other end, that also has threads, so that you can put a screw into it.

The other is the plastic type.

Standoffs are important to ground the motherboard to the case, and also to prevent unintended electrical shorts. It also prevents the motherboard from moving around, which can cause damage to the components. Finally, the standoffs give the motherboard support when you are installing other components. For instance, installing an AGP video card takes a significant amount of force. So, it is important that the motherboard has lots of support.

http://biorobots.cwru.edu/server/how...omp/mountmobo/

images from biorobots

Last edited by tae; 02-01-05 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-01-05, 10:02 AM
A
You can do the job without the plastic ones. I've always installed motherboards using all of the available holes with the brass standoffs. This is a more stable installation, IMO.

Of course, this is all entirely a matter of personal preference, and those unfamiliar with installing motherboards should be extremely careful when placing the brass standoffs, as a misplaced one can do physical damage to the back of the board. Worse yet, if the system is powered up with a misplaced standoff still in place, it can kill the board, and/or other parts.

Old 02-01-05, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Not an expert but thought I'd pass on what I've learned.

You have to make sure that that the power supply in your old case can power your new motherboard.
Found out the hard way after trying to put a p4 Celeron MB into an ATX case.
So much for the budget build!

If this is the "case" for you, I've found that you can get a whole case with power supply for almost the same money as the ps by itself.

Old 02-02-05, 10:00 AM
A
It's interesting to note that many people who build budget systems often think they're getting a great deal when they buy cheap case/PSU combos. There is a very good reason that they are cheap.

Clean power is a fundamental requirement for a reliable system. This is something I've only slowly come to realize after many years of system building and overclocking. The PSU is probably the least "sexy" part of a computer (besides the lowly floppy drive), and thus people don't feel the need to spend a little extra on a decent PSU.

If my budget came down to it, I would much rather take a step down in CPU speed, or buy RAM that was a little cheaper, rather than buying a cheap PSU. There are SO many problems that can be caused by bad power, and diagnosing those problems by a novice can be very difficult.

Greg, please don't take this as a shot at you - it's just a very common belief among non-enthusiasts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: