folders to copy for Outlook migration?

Old 02-07-05, 07:25 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
folders to copy for Outlook migration?

I've put a new hard drive (80 gig Seagate) and operating system (Windows XP Pro) into my computer and I'm going to be puting the old drive (30 gig/Windows ME) in as the slave drive. What I want to do is import all of the old mail settings from Outlook (as part of Office 97)/Outlook Express to the new drive/OS. However, since my wife is really the only one who uses it I"m not familiar with which folders I'd need to be copying/transfering. I guess that I"d be looking for preferences/settings, the address book, and any archived email, but feel free to suggest other things I should be copying as well. I have already installed Office 97 on the new drive.

I understand that XP has a tool for this type of movement/file transfer, but I was told (perhaps mistakenly) that it would not work transfering from a slave drive to a master drive, only from one computer to another.

Assuming the XP transfer tool doesn't work for my situation, can anyone tell me which files/directories I should be copying or perhaps give me a link to a site that explains how to do the process right.

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-05, 08:59 AM
R
Outlook will automatically find and import your Outlook Express settings, contacts and email if you allow it to. It will do this for other versions of Outlook as well, if you let it.

You never really said whether you were using Outlook or Outlook Express. understand that they are quite different. If it was Outlook Express, then you are right to get as far away from it as possible, as quickly as possible.

Old 02-07-05, 09:53 AM
T
hmm...

I think she uses Outlook Express. We have regular Outlook (from Office 97) but I think she uses Express. She gets her email from an account set up through our ISP, not sure why she uses Express vs. standard Outlook. I get my email from yahoo or remotely from my work account, so I don't get my email the same way she does, hence the lack of specifics.

I'm trying to get all this done (moving from Windows ME -that will be relegated to the slave drive - on one hard drive to Windows XP Pro on the new hard drive) on the down-low, as she doesn't deal with change particularly well.

My goal (fingers crossed) is to have everything as they were on the old system (without the bugs of ME) on the new system. I've gotten XP loaded and updated (security updates, SP2, etc), anti-virus/anti-spy programs loaded, now I'm trying to import email settings and data, then finally I'll transfer other data like word documents, digital pictures, and music files.

Any tips would be appreciated. I plan on installing the old HD as the slave tonight if I get a chance. I'll see if I can find where Outlook 97(the new installation) will import settings from the old one.

Thanks,

Matt