Hard Drive Format

Old 02-09-05, 04:31 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hard Drive Format

Is There Any One Can Tell Me How To Format A Hard Drive And Re Instullit.....................i Have Windows 98

Thank You
Zoraa

Old 02-09-05, 06:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can accomplish what you want by following these steps:

Boot from your Windows 98 CD. If you have to boot from a floppy disk (ie, machine ignores Windows 98 CD), go to www.bootdisk.com and download the Win98 boot image. Run the file you download to create a boot diskette (you'll need one blank 1.44Mb disk). Answer Yes to the question of whether you want CD-ROM support.

1. Take note of the drive letter the MSCDEX driver assigns to the CD-ROM drive (one of the last things you'll see before you see the A:\> prompt)

2. At the A: prompt, type "format c: /u /s" (u = Unconditional format, s = copy system files). Enjoy a Coke...this'll take a while (You can add a /q at the end of the format line to do a quick format).

It'll ask you for a label when its done. Put in anything or nothing, it doesn't matter.

3. When the format completes, type the following commands hitting enter after each:

c:

md windows

cd windows

md options

cd options

md cabs

cd cabs

4. Put your Win98 disk in the CD ROM drive and type:

copy d:\win98 (***If your CD ROM is NOT D:, change the letter to the letter you noted in step 1)

Watch for error messages. See note below if you have any errors.

5. Remove the boot floppy, the 98 CD, and reboot

6. At the C:\> prompt, type c:\windows\options\cabs\setup

7. Follow the prompts. At some point, you will be asked where you want to put the windows files, and it will *probably* default to c:\windows.000 Change it to c:\windows, and say OK to the warning that the folder exists.

By doing what I prescribed, you will eliminate the need to do the install directly from the CD. If the CD has problems, they will be found in step 3, not during the actual install process. If you get error messages in step 4, you have either a bad 98 CD, or a bad CD-ROM, and you will need to get a replacement/loaner.

The other advantage of this is that whenever your computer needs something off the 98 CD, it shouldn't have to prompt you for the disk since everything it needs will be in the C:\windows\options\cabs folder.

I've done this proceedure dozens of times (perhaps closer to hundreds). Works like a charm...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: