Can't see hard drive

Old 02-09-05, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Can't see hard drive

Hi,

I have a 6.4 HDD that seems to have gone bad. A co-worker of mine sent me to a data recovery place, so that I could get the data off the HDD, but they wanted to charge me $1200, which is out of my budget. The computer will not see the HDD it stalls before booting into windows. I also heard some clicking. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

greenda4

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-05, 08:03 PM
The drive has probably failed. You may be able to mount the drive in another computer and retrieve the data from the old drive. It may not boot, but still be readable. I would not use this drive any more than necessary before trying to recover the data. See about having it mounted in another computer to see if the drive is readable. If it is, the data can be copied to a CD or CDs and saved that way. Many computer shops can do this for you. There should not be an unreasonable charge for this, probably less than $120.

Backing up your data to CD is a good method of protecting yourself from data being lost when a drive fails. A 6.4 GB drive would be rather old. Many drives don't last beyond 4 years.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-05, 09:50 PM
Lightbulb

Thanks for replying Chris. Yes the drive is about 4.5 yrs old and I am kicking myself for not putting the data onto CDs, but too late now. I tried mounting the drive on two other machines and they would not see the HDD either. Any suggestions??

greenda4

Old 02-10-05, 04:25 AM
Beyond a data recovery service, which, as you've seen, is extremely expensive, you're pretty much out of luck on this one.

The only thing I would suggest is to shop around for a data recovery service. I'm willing to bet that you can find someone who will do it for less than $1200 ( )

Old 02-10-05, 07:29 AM
If your data is VITAL, spend the money to send it to a recovery place. Many places will look at the drive for free and then give you an estimate. You'll probably have to ship it off though.

If your data is not vital, but you REALLY *want* it, here's a method I've had some moderate success with...

NOTE: Be sure to appropriatly discharge static before touching the hardware. Electroshock theropy is NOT a good drive recovery method.

Acquire a USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure. Attach a *known good drive* (NOT the dying drive) to the enclosure. Don't bother closing up the enclosure, as you'll just have this drive connected for a minute or two. Connect the drive to a USB 2.0 port on a PC that has several Gb of free space (at least, oh, say, 6.4Gb). Turn the enclosure on. The machine should autodetect the new enclosure and possibly prompt you for drivers. Once the enclosure is installed, you can power it off ("stop" the removable device first so Windows doesn't yell at you for unsafe removal).

You can now put different drives in the enclosure without having to install drivers again (see where we're going). By using the good drive, we prevented unneccessary wear and tear on the already worn and torn drive. NOTE: Do NOT use a machine that does not have USB 2.0. This process will be painful enough at USB 2.0 speeds.

Make a folder on the PC's hard drive called "recovery" or something like that. Leave it open in a windows explorer window.

Now attach the bad drive to the enclosure. Again, you don't need to close the drive up completely in the enclosure.

With the drive physically upside down (board side up), and the USB cable DISCONNECTED, power on the enclosure. Don't ask why, but dying drives seem to like being upside down in my experience. Wait a minute or so for the drive to come up. Now, plug in the drive. With any luck, Windows will see the drive. Open Windows Explorer and go to the MOST IMPORTANT data you have on the drive. Drag it to the recovery folder on the PC's hard drive. Work fast, you don't have much time. COPY, don't try to MOVE...moving takes more work by the dying drive.

After a few minutes, the dying drive will probably stall on you. When it does, turn off the enclosure (don't worry about stopping it first, the drive's health is more important than windows crying "unsafe hardware removal"). Reboot the machine, unplug the USB cable, wait a while (let the poor dying drive rest...feel the drive...if its hot, wait for it to cool down).

Once the drive has had a break, open your recovery folder again so its ready to go. Turn the enclosure on. Wait out the ole drives gyrations (sp), connect the cable, and go at it again.

You may have to do this several times...

I managed to get a LOT of data off an old IBM Deathstar (err, Deskstar ) and a few other dying drives this way. Realize that this is VERY hard on the old drive, and that it will probably die before you are finished. But, some recovery is better than none.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-10-05, 09:27 AM
Lightbulb

Thanks for the info chirkware. Seems like you have experience in this. Would you consider performing this for me for a small price :-) ?? I am a novice at computer hardware and think that I might be unsuccessful.

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 02-10-05, 10:18 AM
Greenda4,

Sorry, but there are several reasons I cannot do this for you.

1. Violation of the rules of this site to solicit services.

2. Liability. I would be taking on responsibility for your data.

3. Identity theft. If it ever happened to you, I am automatically a prime suspect since I had your data uncontrolled in my hands.

4. I have been made painfully aware of the extremes our legal system goes to in prosecuting people for having certain types of illegal data, even for a brief moment, even by accident, even if there is a good explanation, on their PC. This recovery process requires putting unknown data on my hard drive, something I no longer am willing to do. Call me paranoid...I've personally seen lives turned upside down, and it is scary.

Sorry, didn't mean to be so depressing. If you have no idea what #4 is all about, be very thankful. I pray you never have to learn.

The times I have done this process has been for a company my employer has a contract with. At no time did I have the subject data aware from the companies control (ie, I was on their premises, using their hardware).

Old 02-10-05, 01:58 PM
Lightbulb

Thanks. I understand. I just thought I would try :-) I'll try and figure it out myself.

greenda4

Old 02-10-05, 08:34 PM
When you tried installing the questionable drive in another computer, I assume you were installing it as a slave to the installed drive (the "Master"). If so, there likely is a "jumper" setting to make the drive a slave. Did you set it? If it were not set, I don't believe the controller will see it. If you don't know what I am talking about look around on the case for a diagram of the jumper settings which should be adjacent to the jumper and jumper pins. If you find it, it should be fairly self-explanatory. Also, of course, you should be sure you have attached the power plug to the drive.

Bob

Old 02-11-05, 10:31 AM
Lightbulb

Thanks for replying Bob. Yes I tried the jumper in all different configurations and the computer could not see the drive.

greenda4