Computers won't network

Old 02-13-05, 11:59 PM
David Haynes
Visiting Guest
Question Computers won't network

I hooked up two NIC cards and the cable and tried to install about seven times but >>> no workee.

Can NIC cards be incompatible with each other?

Can't I just run A USB cable between the two computers ?

Is there a better program than generic Windows to interface computers on a computer to computer connection ?

Do I need a special LAN cable ? ( I am using an non reversed LAN cable between two NIC cards)

Old 02-14-05, 01:06 AM
tae
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, first whats the operating system of each.
did the nic's install ok?
what exactly are you trying to install?
you are trying to do a direct connection...computer to computer?
you dont have a router?
you need a crossover cable to go from nic to nic, not a straight cable.

look here:http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/dccmain.html

Old 02-14-05, 05:24 AM
R
As tae stated, to go from NIC to NIC requires a crossover cable. Most cables you buy are not crossover cables, but rather are straight through. Normally you use straight through cables to connect a PC or other device to a hub or switch.

Old 02-14-05, 10:56 AM
David Haynes
Visiting Guest
Talking original poster reply

On one is win XP on the other is win 98.

The xp nic seems to install ok, the win 98 nic seems to be in conflict with the operating system when it tries to "auto load" its own driver.

I am trying to get the generic win software to recognize the network connection in order to transfer files beteen the two computers. I am not triying to share a printer or an internet connection.

I do not have a hub or router.

I have what I believe is a crossover cable. Is there a way to ohm it out to be able to tell that it is a cross over cable ?

Are all NICs directly compatable ?

Maybe I should start over and buy a packaged LAN kit with a hub or router and some specific software ? ANY suggestions ?

Old 02-14-05, 11:58 AM
C
A normal patch cable is terminated on both ends with wires in this order:
WO, O, WG, Blu, WBlu, G, WBr, Br
(W=White, O=Orange, G=Green, Blu=Blue, Br=Brown)

A crossover cable has one end like normal, but the other end is:
WG, G, WO, Blu, WBlu, O, WBr, Br

Notice that the Green and Orange pairs are crossed, hence the cable is a "crossover".

A little oversimplified, but this is basically what's going on:

In a patch cable, one pair allows the PC to receive a signal (Rx) and the other allows it to send a signal (Tx). (The Blue and Brown pairs are not used for 10BaseT or 100BaseTX.) Without a crossover cable, two PC's trying to communicate cannot as they are both trying to send out the signal on the same pair of wires.

By using a crossover, the Rx wires from one end become the Tx for the other, and vise versa. Hence, each PC can send and receive.

If you have a hub or switch, it handles the Rx/Tx translation, and you use a regular patch cable.

For the Win98 PC, be sure to turn on file sharing in the network settings once you get the driver issues resolved. Do you have drivers specific for the NIC? If not, see if you can download them from the manufacturers web site. Usually Windows 98 is pretty as far as installing NICs, so long as you have the drivers. What kind of NIC are you using on the 98 box?

Old 02-14-05, 04:03 PM
R
Installing the NIC is what you need to do first. This has nothing to do with connecting the two computers together.

If you get the NICs installed properly you can then connect the two computers together using your crossover cable or a hub and normal cables.

For Windows 98 you will need either an old NIC, or one that is fairly generic, or one that comes with Windows 98 drivers. If you are trying a new NIC that is non-standard and that didn;lt come with Windows 98 drivers, you will probably be out of luck.

Old 02-14-05, 05:30 PM
J
Received 462 Likes on 382 Posts
You need a cross over cable as described then you can use this link to get you set up. It is a step by step instructions.
http://wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

Old 02-15-05, 02:11 AM
David Haynes
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Reply to all

Okay guys, thanks for the inputs.

I need a few days to tinker and try all of your suggestions.

I will report back on Thursday and provide details as to NIC types, error messages and other info.

This being working days I will hit it hard on the weekend (now where is that hammer).

Old 02-18-05, 02:10 AM
David Haynes
Visiting Guest
Question Some success

Well I thought that the old ISA NIC card was a dawg in the Win 98 machine
so I bought a new PCI NIC for it for $15 fungolas.

It installed correctly and the Win XP installed correctly.

I made sure that I had a Reversing cable to tie RX/TX and TX/RX.

I ran some of the Tshoot test software and got a 100MBPS connection to
finally stay up without disconnecting.

However I cannot see the other computer from either computer.

I have the new NIC in the Win 98 as >>> Linksys, Model NC100U
which came with a driver disk and good docs.

On the Win XP >>> SMC Ether Power ll Ethernet Adapter.

It loaded okay with the Win XP install.

I do see continuous packet handshaking with a good solid connection at
100Mbps.

Any help ?

Last edited by David Haynes; 02-18-05 at 02:22 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-18-05, 04:48 AM
C
On the 98 machine, go into the network settings and MAKE SURE file and print sharing is enabled.

Also, go back and review the tutorial JOED linked to. You must set an IP address on each machine. Below are suggestions...this is NOT the only way to set up IP addresses. Note that the only difference between the two machines is the last # of the IP address...Any combination of 192.168.x.y (where x is any number from 0 to 255 but the same on both machines; y can range from 1 to 254 but MUST be DIFFERENT on the two machines). The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for a home network (unless you are running a REALLY BIG home network).

Set up the XP machine as:
IP: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Set the second machine as:
IP: 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Also be SURE both machines have the same WORKGROUP name, but different MACHINE names. Finally, be sure you have the same username and password set up on both machines.

Old 02-19-05, 11:47 PM
David Haynes
Visiting Guest
Talking OK >>> A NETWORK IS BORN

After much tinkering I have finally got my "network" working.

The good advantage now is that I can set downloads on one, via a shared internet connection, and burn music CDs on the other.

Before some processes sort of hogged all of the CPU and I could not (or did not want to) multitask.

Thanks everyone for your help and pointing me to great info plus good sound advice.

For my next trick I want to chain off from one of the networked computers onto a USB network to a set of separate computers.

You will probablt say >>> "just buy a router".

I will say that I want an independent and secondary network that cannot be seen by the other network.

Anyway, off to more tinkering.

Dave

Old 02-20-05, 12:50 AM
tae
For my next trick I want to chain off from one of the networked computers onto a USB network to a set of separate computers.
You will probablt say >>> "just buy a router".
I will say that I want an independent and secondary network that cannot be seen by the other network.
Just buy a router. just because you use a router does not mean that all computers on the network can see each other, but they can all have net access without having to use S.I.C. , plus, you get some built in protection as an added bonus, and, have the capability to let the other computers see each other in the future if you wish.

Old 02-20-05, 08:27 AM
J
Received 462 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by David Haynes

After much tinkering I have finally got my "network" working.

The good advantage now is that I can set downloads on one, via a shared internet connection, and burn music CDs on the other.
Dave
What did you use to get the internet connection sharing to work? I managed to get to PC to network but I could not ICS to work. I tried everything on networking link I posted earlier.

Old 02-21-05, 01:04 AM
David Haynes
Visiting Guest
Cool someday

Originally Posted by tae
Just buy a router. just because you use a router does not mean that all computers on the network can see each other, but they can all have net access without having to use S.I.C. , plus, you get some built in protection as an added bonus, and, have the capability to let the other computers see each other in the future if you wish.

I will buy a router when I get through trying to do it the difficult way.

Besides in doing things the difficult way i am learning more.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-21-05, 01:07 AM
David Haynes
Visiting Guest
Talking internet sharing

Originally Posted by joed
What did you use to get the internet connection sharing to work? I managed to get to PC to network but I could not ICS to work. I tried everything on networking link I posted earlier.
I got the secondary computer to see the internet connection by NOT giving it a direct access to the "server" and using a different IP address, if that makes sense.

It sees the internet but not the other computer.

Ask tae >>> the computer moderator >>> the GURU.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: