dumped norton about a year ago, & still have norton folders_???

Old 02-19-05, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dumped norton about a year ago, & still have norton folders_???

I had about 4 norton folders (from norton system works and AV) still in my system after the uninstall. (gawd, I hate the aols and nortons that get themselves tangled up into everything and try to hang around when you want them to be gone), so I sent them one at a time to my recycle bin then restarted my computer to see if there was any problems. the first 3 were ok, but the last one resulted in this message. <p><center><i>can not find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application<br>the windows registry or system ini files refers to this device file but the device file no longer exists. <br>if you deleted this file on purpose, try to uninstall the application using uninstall or the setup program <br>(this was already done, and I thought it cleaned out the system) <br>If you still want to use it try reinstalling it.<br>the name of the file is C:program:~\symantec\symevent.386 <p>I can blow by this error message by hitting enter and windows appears to be running ok, as well as my new anti-virus. how do I get rid of this message that appears each time windows loads? is there some kind of windows washer utility that I need to run? windows 98se. thx....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-05, 12:59 AM
tae
you didnt mention the version of norton you had, but they do make a "Symantec Application Cleanup Utility (SYMClean)" Try it first.

Symantec provides the SYMClean utility, SymClean.exe, to remove Norton SystemWorks files and registry entries that are not removed by the Windows Add/Remove Programs utility.
here is the info for sysworks 2003:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...=&prev=&dtype=

Old 02-20-05, 11:55 AM
thx, tae. however, I'm done dealing with, or downloading anything from norton, (symantec)

Old 02-20-05, 04:21 PM
tae
well, they know they have problems with their programs deleting everything, thats why they make a specific application to help get rid of everything. use it or not, as you wish.