How to get rid of password prompt....

Old 02-21-05, 12:42 PM
How to get rid of password prompt....

Hey Guys,
FINALLY got up-to-speed from my old dial-up connection to SBCYahoo DSL...

Didn't know what I was missing...Gadzooks, it's fast...

Anyhow, now when I start Win98SE (boot up or restart) , I'm prompted to "Enter your network password for Microsoft Networking"...

There's probably a simple fix to skip this annoying step, but I can' find it...

Any help and ideas greatly appreciated..

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 01:06 PM
Download and install Windows powertoys. They offer a tool that lets you automatically log in with any username. Find it on the Microsoft Web site.

Old 02-21-05, 01:38 PM
Hey Racraft,
Thanks for the info...I'll check it out...

Matt

Old 02-21-05, 06:30 PM
tae
Here are the two easiest ways to disable this login. First, if you install the Microsoft Family Logon, the Windows Login dialog should go away. Follow these steps to install it. Right-click Network Neighborhood and choose Properties (or open the "Network" Control Panel). Then click the Add button. Double-click the "Client" entry. Select "Microsoft" on the left side. Double-click "Microsoft Family Logon" on the right side and click OK. You may need to insert your Windows 98 CD at this point, or Windows may find the files it needs automatically (depending on how your computer is set up). Now restart your computer, and that's a done deal. The second way to handle it is to download and use TweakUI. Once Tweak UI is installed, access it from the Control Panel. Select the "Logon" tab. Put a check in the box beside "Log on automatically at system startup." Then in the spaces below, enter the information you normally enter into the Windows Logon box. Be sure to get this right, and don't put anything new in these boxes. Note: some broadband accounts use the Microsoft Networking protocol, which means you can't disable it. In this case, just click Cancel and go on.

beware that using powertoys or tweakui can cause problems either immediately, or even in the future, after deleting them. only make changes you are sure of.!!

Old 02-21-05, 07:15 PM
Hey Tae,
Thanks for your help...but in the meantime, I found the following solution (Google search) that worked perfectly for me...

Click START
Go to SETTINGS
Click CONTROL PANEL
Double-Click the NETWORK Icon
Click the CONFIGURATION tab
Under PRIMARY NETWORK LOGON Choose WINDOWS LOGON
Click OK
You will be prompted to RESTART
Click NO
Double-Click the PASSWORDS Icon
Choose the USER PROFILES tab
Click the "radio button" next to the option "ALL USERS OF THIS PC USE THE SAME SETTINGS AND DESKTOP PREFERENCES"

Now choose the CHANGE PASSWORDS tab
In the CHANGE WINDOWS PASSWORD box:
Type your current Windows password in the OLD PASSWORD box
Leave the NEW PASSWORD box BLANK
Leave the CONFIRM NEW PASSWORD box BLANK

Click OK
Click OK
Click START
Click SHUTDOWN
Click RESTART