DVD/Video Editing Programs

Old 02-24-05, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
DVD/Video Editing Programs

What's everyone using these days for editing video and producing DVD's?

I've BEEN using DVD-X-Maker, but it has started to give me problems and since the company went out of business it's probably time to find a substitute.

So, what's good and what to stay away from?TG

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-05, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use Ulead software, works well for me.
They have demos available www.ulead.com

Old 02-24-05, 05:56 PM
M
Talking

I'm really impressed with Studio 9 from Pinnacle. Easy to create menus for DVD and it pretty much does everything from capturing to final buring.

Old 02-26-05, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, guys.

Since my post I've discovered that I seem to have problems with more than just the DVD-X-Maker. Movie Maker is also quirky. In addition I tried downloading trial copies of a couple of programs that don't seem to function correctly, Ulead DVD Movie Factory & Video Studio. I think there was another non-Ulead demo that I tried, but can't remember which. They all seem to either lock up at some point, almost always while I'm trying to view/import mpg files that I have previously captured via my AdsTech DVD Express. The problems in Movie Maker are often accompanied by the "Windows has encountered a problem" box. Starting to think I have an OS problem (XP SP2), but darned if I can figure out what. Nothing comes up on diagnostics (Norton Utilies) or virus scan (AVG) and this was a clean install when I upgraded my hardware just after Christmas. I've uninstalled and thoroughly cleaned out files and registry and reinstalled the DVD-X-Maker with no difference (although I may have made it somewhat better; before the reinstall while trying to open an mpg the program would sometimes just quit, no warning, no nothing, just all of a sudden you are on the Windows desktop with the program no longer running). Starting to drive me crazy. I managed to get almost all of the stuff I had captured & waiting to edit/process to open in DVD-X-Maker yesterday. For some reason it suddenly prefers smaller files. It seemed to handle 500m files okay, but two files that it would lock up on are in the 1.5-2.5g range. This came up out of the blue as I have been doing home video conversions for going on a year now (previously w/98SE and since the upgrade w/XP SP2) and never had a problem with file size.

I am stumped, but one thing I am going to try is to start from scratch with Movie Maker, i.e. use its capture option vice capturing in CapWiz (AdsTech's program) and then importing the captured mpg file. The import feature in Movie Maker freezes up almost every time. Also, I suppose, there's a remote chance there is simply a problem with the group of files I've been trying to work with for some unknown reason. I captured about a dozen clips in file sizes ranging from 500k-2500k about a week or ten days ago and then went back to do the editing/burning. Don't know how the files could have gotten corrupted in the interim, but will be checking that.

If I still have problems with newly captured stuff, I will be thoroughly (as opposed to 90%) stumped. And, of course, I am extremely reluctant to buy a new program while not knowing if it will function properly.

I LOVE COMPUTERS

Old 02-27-05, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
(previously w/98SE and since the upgrade w/XP SP2) and never had a problem with file size.
My guess is that this is your problem. You said you upgraded from 98SE to XP? XP uses/needs a lot more system resources than 98SE. What are the specs on your computer (e.g. RAM, hard drive size, processor type and speed, etc.)? Did you do a clean install (format C: ) or did you upgrade?

Old 02-27-05, 05:27 PM
M
You didn't mention going to AdsTech's website and getting the lastest patches, updates and drivers. With XP don't depend on the drivers that came on the CD especially if you have SP2 for XP.

Old 02-28-05, 04:04 AM
GeoPappas
Visiting Guest
For capturing, VirtualDub seems to be one of the best. I have used it with great success. You can read about it here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Virtualdub

For video editing, Sony's Vegas Movie Studio, and ULead's Videostudio get great reviews. They both run around $100. I have used ULead's Videostudio 7.0 for a few home DVD's and like it very much. You can read about them here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Vegas_Movie_Studio

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Ulead_Videostudio

There are some higher end products that are better, but they cost more $$$ of course . They are ULead's MediaStudio Pro ($300), Vegas ($500), and Adobe Premiere Pro ($700). You can read about them all here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tools...+or+List+tools

Old 02-28-05, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
I've got plenty of processor and memory power and drive space. The upgrade was a format and clean install. The hardware upgrade was mobo, processor, and memory. AdsTech has nothing newer as far as drivers (there is a beta of a new version, tho).

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer NVIDIA
System Model AWRDACPI
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1742 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 8/4/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 664.25 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

I did some capturing and burning yesterday using DVD-X-Maker and seems to be working okay. Sometimes while doing the conversion of the raw mpeg into whatever the program needs causes it to APPEAR to hang up, but I found if I go away and come back it eventually frees itself up. Minor inconvenience and still don't know why the program doesn't function as previously. Also tried dinking around with Movie Maker and it continues to have bugs or at least won't function properly for me. It selectively freezes up when trying to drag clips into the timeline/work area. Some clips drag fine, but others, when you click on them, cause the program to lock up. Tried it with some existing files and also with some freshly captured stuff.
I had tried Video Studio 7 that originally came with the capture device and liked it, but after a few weeks of using it, it would lock up at the splash screen and would not open. Went around and around with tech support and loaded and reloaded it (including manually cleaning out files and uninstalling) until I was blue in the face. Finally dumped it in favor of the DVD-X-Maker which worked super until now. Unfortunately 321 Studios apparently went out of business.

I am going to try downloading and installing the lastest Video Studeo trial just for S&G's and will let you know. For now, the DVD-X-Maker seems to be workable.

Old 02-28-05, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I've got plenty of processor and memory power and drive space.
Yeah sounds like you do. One more question: Did you format NTFS or FAT? IIRC FAT has a file size limitation. I don't even know if XP will install on FAT. Educate me if you know.

I don't know what you are trying to do, but you also might want to try DVD Decryper and/or DVD Shrink. Both are freeware and AFAIK spyware free.

Old 02-28-05, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
As I understand it you can set XP up for NTFS or FAT. I'm set for NTFS. All I'm trying to do is convert VHS to DVD, which I've been doping off & on for about a year now; previously with 98SE (and only running 1.2 Duron and 512m) and now on the upgraded system. For some unknown reason, the various video editing/authoring software suddenly doesn't like the mpg files that I capture with the AdsTech DVD Express. Not ALL of the files, mind you; some will work and others will lock up the system. I redownloaded VS8 and tried again; some of the clips I can work with and drag to the work space, but others will lock up the program just by clicking on them in the open file dialogue box. BTSOOM what's up. I suspect trying other programs is just chasing my tail, since I've tried 3 or 4 different ones with none of them working 4.0 and generally behaving in the same way - don't want to open some of the captured mpg files. I'm starting to wonder if my capture device is doing some whacky stuff, but not ALL captured files have problems. Additional head-scratcher: One of our part-time drivers has a computer networking and web design business. He dosen't do a lot of capturing, etc, but he needed a short clip of VHS captured and his cheapo device was belly up. Soooo, I captured it as usual and burned the raw mpg file to a CD (it was only about 5 minutes of video). This morning he tells me that he can play the files on "his" computer at home, but it refuses to work on his "wife's" computer (she does web design). This has me leaning more towards wondering if the video capture is working 100% as it should. For now, I'll just be sticking with my trusty (although a bit quirky right now) DVD-X-Maker; otherwise I'm going to lose my mind trying to figure out the other programs' problems.

Old 02-28-05, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
The plot thickens.

Just on a whim I thought I would try to view the problem files with something other than Windows Media Player and I remembered I had WinDVD on a disk that came with my DVD burner. So I went to their (interVideo)website to see what was new, but they didn't show a freeware version, so I figured i would just use the older version I had on the disk. But while i was there I noticed they also had editing/authoring software, so I downloaded and installed the plain vanilla version, Instant Movie Maker. Held off on installing the WinDVD player and ran the Instant Movie Maker. Similar to the other various programs, it didn't like the files - EVEN files that have been working okay in the other programs. What happened was I would click to add the file and it would appear, but the program was only recognizing it as an AUDIO file. Wierd; so I figured, well, another program down and another 50 or so to go, but i then installed the WinDVD player as orignally planned and, voila, I was able to play the suspect files. This is where it really gets strange; I then closed WinDVD and launched the Instant Movie Maker and surprise!, the files are now visible, recognized as mpeg's and able to edit and play. Hmmm, think maybe I'll test drive interVideo's other, full-featured programs. The whole problem still has me thoroughly stumped.

Old 02-28-05, 06:12 PM
tae
sounds like you just needed the right codec installed, which happened when you installed windvd. i use gspot 2.2 to tell me which codec's are needed, and used.