Question re: Aftermath of re-installing XP

Old 03-01-05, 07:38 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question re: Aftermath of re-installing XP

I recently re-installed XP (as a new installation) to clear up all the clutter that had accumulated after 3 years of use, and so start over with a clean slate. I then installed just the programs I actually use.

However, when I did a virus scan yesterday, I noticed that all the photos and document files that I had put on CD's prior to re-installing XP were showing up.

Although they show as C:mypictures, etc during the virus scan, they don't appear when I open My Pictures.

I checked my C Drive, and it shows 27 Gigs used, which must be way out of whack since I only reinstalled a couple of small programs.

When I look at the Add/ or Remove Program screen, it shows only the few programs I re-installed. What is wrong? Where are the photos and presumably all my old programs hiding???

All help appreciated.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-05, 09:03 AM
R
I think you forgot to reformat your hard drive either before starting the installation, or as part of the installation.

Windows will not format your hard drive automatically.

Old 03-01-05, 10:00 AM
T
Oh, no...

I was under the impression that re-installing XP (as a new installation) automatically wiped everything from my hard drive.

It did wipe out all my drivers, and it took quite a while to get things up and running again.

Not wanting to go through all that again- is there some way to identify what is on my C drive and delete unwanted programs and files?

Tom

Old 03-01-05, 10:53 AM
R
You don;t want to do this by hand. You will either delete too much or delete too little.

Do the right thing and start over. This time reformat the hard drive.