Serious Problem , NEED HELP!!!

Old 03-01-05, 05:19 PM
zkookyle
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Serious Problem , NEED HELP!!!

Hello,

Ok my avg just went out and my mother tried to be doctor pc while drunk, ok now evrthing on my computer has a blank aheet of paper with a little box in the middle of it.it wont let me dl anything and it wont let me open any of my files , theres only 3 things i can acess. recycling bin , my computer , explorer. so if any of you can help[ plz tell me how to fix it

Old 03-01-05, 07:09 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a computer expert,

Are you getting any error messages while booting up? What do they say?
You said that your "AVG just went out" what do you mean? Did you get a virus warning? Or just a program error?

Can you get into safe mode? (Press F8 while booting up). I'd try using the recovery console first.

Worst case, then you'll probably need to re-install Windows. You'll need the CD that has Windows on it....if this is a Dell, HP, or similair it might be called a "restore" or "recovery" CD.

If none of the above works, then please post back and check to see if anyone more knowlegable than me has some advice for you.

****IMPORTANT: YOU MAY LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA ON THE COMPUTER. REPAIRING/RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS MAY ERASE ALL OF YOUR SAVED DATA*****

Old 03-01-05, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Desy2820
Are you getting any error messages while booting up? What do they say?
You said that your "AVG just went out" what do you mean? Did you get a virus warning? Or just a program error?

Can you get into safe mode? (Press F8 while booting up). I'd try using the recovery console first.

Worst case, then you'll probably need to re-install Windows. You'll need the CD that has Windows on it....if this is a Dell, HP, or similair it might be called a "restore" or "recovery" CD.

If none of the above works, then please post back and check to see if anyone more knowlegable than me has some advice for you.

****IMPORTANT: YOU MAY LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA ON THE COMPUTER. REPAIRING/RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS MAY ERASE ALL OF YOUR SAVED DATA*****
****IMPORTANT: YOU MAY LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA ON THE COMPUTER. REPAIRING/RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS MAY ERASE ALL OF YOUR SAVED DATA***** yes you may lose all of your data. If you do have to re-install windows, make sure that you have the code for windows so you can re-install it or you won't be able to use your computer until you do.

Old 03-01-05, 08:30 PM
C
If you can, click Start, Run, then type cmd. When the command box opens, type sfc /scannow, and press return. This should rebuild the needed files for Windows XP. A dialogue box may open asking for the installation CD to be inserted.

Otherwise, to re-install Windows XP, insert the CD into the CD drive. Open Windows Explorer and explore the CD drive, double click Setup.exe to launch the windows installer. As the installer runs, it will eventually advise that Windows already exists in C:\Windows and ask if you want to install elsewhere. Select C:\Windows as the directory to install. This will install a fresh copy of Windows. Your data should survive, but YMMV.

You might put a password on the administrator's account and give your mother her own limited account to prevent this.

The recovery console works if you happen to have made a recovery disk.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-05, 06:40 PM
zkookyle
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chfite
If you can, click Start, Run, then type cmd. When the command box opens, type sfc /scannow, and press return. This should rebuild the needed files for Windows XP. A dialogue box may open asking for the installation CD to be inserted.

Otherwise, to re-install Windows XP, insert the CD into the CD drive. Open Windows Explorer and explore the CD drive, double click Setup.exe to launch the windows installer. As the installer runs, it will eventually advise that Windows already exists in C:\Windows and ask if you want to install elsewhere. Select C:\Windows as the directory to install. This will install a fresh copy of Windows. Your data should survive, but YMMV.

You might put a password on the administrator's account and give your mother her own limited account to prevent this.

The recovery console works if you happen to have made a recovery disk.

Hope this helps.
ok it wont let me even open any exe files at all so it wont let me open the cmd file

Old 03-02-05, 08:20 PM
C
Boot the XP CD, and make a fresh install from scratch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: