Wireless Connection

Old 03-04-05, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless Connection

I recently installed Cox Cable High Speed Internet. The modem is connected to Computer #1. Computer #2 is connected from Computer #1 by Linksys Wireless G. But when I run Linux, I cannot connect to the Internet. My son says Linux doesn't recognize Wireless. Is this true???. If not, how do I fix it???

Old 03-05-05, 11:23 AM
C
If this worked before Cox Cable, it should work now. If this is new, Linux will need ndiswrapper for some of the wireless cards. There are some cards in the Linux Hardware lists that work with wireless. Wireless does not readily work out of the box in Linux.

http://************/6sq69

Is a search return on Linux wireless. Linux requires some research on your part to match the card you have with the driver needed.

If you will provide the make and model of the wireless card, including which chip is on the card, in your Linux box with the distribution of Linux you are using, the kernel version, the version of cardmgr you have installed, I can take a look for you.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-05, 04:40 PM
I have wireless working on my Compaq Presario R3240US (AMD 64) laptop running SuSE 9.2 x86_64. I use Linuxant Driver Loader. It cost ~$20 after 30 days, but well worth the money in my opinion. The support is REALLY good. It only works with specific cards/chips. There iis a list on their website.

Old 03-05-05, 04:45 PM
If you get wireless working, you will also want to install wpa_supplicant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: